𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER SEVEN: DEAR BIRD

____________________

for bird

those two words were written on an envelope in a crevice. i slipped it outside into john b's hands. i then crawled out to be met with the others.

"you good?" jj said to me quietly. i nodded in response.

i heard pope sigh, "that's not gold."

"holy shit. this is from my dad," john b replied, taking the words on it to account.

"code red, code red. square groupers! square groupers!" jj suddenly alarmed us. he took my hand out of instinct as we all ran to hide.

"go."

"it's the guys who robbed your house," jj announced.

"a-fucking-gain?" i groaned out of frustration.

"lights!" kie told all of us.

"light. turn your light off man," pope fiddled with the headlamp that jj was wearing.

"john b, your light," kie muttered.

"i see something!" a distant voice called as i closed my eyes and tightened my grip on jj's hand.

kie inquired, "do you think it's them?"

"homies got a gun," jj said as i shuddered with the thought of almost being held at gunpoint yet again.

"screw this," kie determined, and we all started to run and get out of there. we all hopped the fence, but pope got caught.

"guys, i'm stuck," jj and i heard pope from behind us.

"pope, come on! no, pope, don't move okay?" jj pointed the gun at him.

"seriously, jj?" i grabbed the gun from him. kie started to help pope get down, and his shorts were ripped right from his body.

"nice, come on dude. it's a little tootsie roll!" jj teased as we ran into the van.

"come on!"

"get in!"

"stupid," kie laughed, closing the door behind her. we got away again.

-

-

the five of us headed back to john b's house to open the envelope. jj was making a sandwich on bread that was covered in mold.

"that bread had mold on it three days ago," pope remarked.

"i'll just pull off the bad parts. plus, mold is good for you. it's like a natural organism," jj continued, "elsie, you want me to make you one?" he waved a piece of bread as if it would tempt me.

"no, and j, the entire thing's bad dumbass," i scoffed.

"jj, elsie," kie signaled us to come over; john b was going to open the envelope.

"hot damn, let's do this," jj practically ran. he took a bite of his sandwich and soon spit it out, immediately gagging.

"delicious, right?" i teased.

"holy shit," john b commented as he unfolded a large map.

"oh, x marks the spot," pope pointed at the exaggerated x drawn on the map.

"longitude, latitude, wait, there's something else in there," he pulled out a tape recorder.

"what's that?" jj inquired.