𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: RESSURECTION DRIVE?

__________________________

"he said it looked something like this," kiara pointed at the paper she was holding. us three girls were sitting in the volkswagen, examining the drawing of the gold well. "that's fifty feet down, and they're using this 100 foot rope. so i guess this little wagon will go, straight to the gold room," she proceeded to explain before we all died laughing.

"who drew this?" sarah scoffed sarcastically.

"who do you think?" kie responded as we looked over at pope and john b.

"i think," i snatched the paper out of the girl's hands, "that this was drawn by jj, while he was trashed." once again, we started giggling.

"ladies, this better work," the boy i just mentioned walked up to us and dropped the gold into the van. "we can't pawn this if there's a giant wheat symbol on it."

"it's gonna work," kie reassured. it was decided that we'd melt it down to get rid of the symbol; to not raise any eyebrows.

-

-

"hell of a job melting it down, dr. frankenstein," jj looked down at the gold, which was obviously horribly-done.

"like you could've done any better," kie noted as the rest of us hopped out of the vehicle.

"i could've done much better. i took a welding class," jj countered.

"when?" kiara interrogated, before the two's dispute was broken up by john b.

"chill out, okay?"

"easy for you to say. you're not the one who has to pawn this piece of shit off," jj held up the mound of gold, "how did elsie and i get this job anyway?"

"cause you two are the best liars," pope stated as we opened the door to the pawn shop.

"afternoon, ma'am," jj smiled, taking a few steps into the tiny store.

"hi!" i put on a cheery exterior, which any outsider believed when they saw me.

"afternoon."

"we happened to see that you buy gold."

"that's what the sign says, don't it?" the worker answered.

"well, i sure hope you buy a lot of it because this is gonna blow your mind," the boyfriend of mine took the gold out of his backpack.

"i ain't got much mind left to blow, so have at it."

"how about them gold apples?" he placed the gold onto the counter.

the lady looked up at us in disbelief and chuckled, "that ain't real."

"that ain't real?" jj challenged the lady.

"it can't be," the pawnbroker explained. if only she knew how ridiculous she had sounded in that moment.

"feel how heavy it is," i intervened.

"mhm, mhm," jj hummed, a look of confidence on his face as the woman was surprised by the weight of the gold, "let's get some light on that."

"spray-painted tungsten," she concluded, as jj and i looked at each other with mischief written all over both of our faces.

"spray-painted tungsten. really? okay. why don't you see how, uh, soft it is?"

"you mind?" she asked for permission before putting a mallet to our discovery.