𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX: FUCK, ELSIE

_______________________

"knock knock, angel," an all-too-familiar voice said from the doorway of the new room. "wow."

"nice, huh?" elsie giggled, gesturing for the blonde to come sit with her. "living the luxury life, am i right?"

"yeah, that's one way to put it," jj took her hand in his. "what's the reason behind you switching though?"

"just some protocol they follow, i'm pretty sure," she shook her head. jj didn't know anything about the reasoning for it, and elsie had no intentions of telling him either. there was no telling of what he'd do in that case. "so i uh-- john b."

jj's expression changed entirely. "so i guess you remember?"

"i asked about it. i had my questions," elsie bit her lip. it didn't make her shed a tear, simply because it didn't seem real at all. "is it bad i'd rather not talk about it?"

"no, no, it's probably better we don't," jj fiddled with his ring, which naturally caught his girlfriend's eye immediately, noticing that something was in fact, wrong.

"j, what's wrong?"

"nothing. it's just been a lot, i guess," he met his eyes with hers, calming down instantly.

"we're going to be okay, bub. trust me?" elsie caressed jj's cheek. the last thing that the two needed was for jj to stress out.

"as soon as you get out of here, we should get married. maybe it could be on the beach. if you don't have anything else, my mom had this beautiful dress, and i could imagine you in it. i feel like it would just be special, you know?"

elsie listened to his every word; it wasn't hard to see that he was speaking with his heart, and not just trying to please his girlfriend.

"wow," elsie felt tears brimming her eyes, "who's the one talking about getting married now?"

"i just feel like time is way more valuable now. i want you to have my last name as soon as possible, alright? elsie maybank. i like it," jj thought, but then saw his girlfriend's sad expression, "hey, hey. what's wrong darlin?"

"nothing," she wiped one of the tears away and smiled. "that just sounds amazing. i wouldn't want anything more."

"i'm glad we're on the same page. i love you more than life angel." jj smiled, kissing both of elsie's hands.

"i couldn't agree more. oh yeah, i forgot to mention to you-- i might be having an operation in the next few days. i'm not sure, but i just might. so in case they say you can't see me, don't miss me too much."

"i'll try my best," the boy commented, wanting nothing more than for her to be out of the hospital so they could be with one another in private again.

"good," elsie nodded, letting out a huge breath of air that she had been holding for longer than she happened to realize.

after a while of the two just talking with one another, and being in each other's company, jj decided to leave.

"i'll visit you again tomorrow, okay baby?" he sat up from the chair, moving it back to it's initial position before he came into the room. instead of replying, elsie grabbed the collar to his shirt, pulling him in to kiss the boy passionately.

"fuck, elsie," jj spoke in between words, "you make it hard for me to wait until after you get out of the hospital."

"i love you jj," elsie panted after losing her breath.

"i love you more darlin," jj grinned, the words coming out of elsie's mouth seeming like heaven to him.

-

-

once the boy left, elsie looked around the room, trying to find what she wanted. but luckily enough, the nurse came in.

"hi elsie!" she cheerfully said to the teenage girl. she was young like elsie's last nurse, but they had actually had a few nice conversations. elsie found out that her name was josephine, she was 24, and grew up as a pogue.

"hey, josie," elsie smiled back. it was nice to have someone to talk and relate to around the hospital for when there wasn't anyone visiting her. "by any chance could you give me some paper and a pen?"

at the question, josie's smile quickly faded. it wasn't an uncommon thing she would hear, and all she had to do was put two and two together to understand why elsie was asking for those supplies. "elsie, i wouldn't be worried about that."

"hey, if i croak tomorrow, i need to be ready," elsie joked. the truth was, she didn't want to die. not that she was going to, but the thought of it scared her. she had so much more to live for. elsie had intentions of building a life with jj. it had been that way for ages, even if they weren't dating at the time; both of them secretly thought that way.

"i can get you those things, sure," josephine finally nodded, leaving the room and soon returning with what her patient had asked for.

"why thank you madam," elsie spoke in a horrible british accent, pulling the small table so it was in front of her and she could lean on it. "now, i have some instructions for you. worst case scenario, i kick the bucket. give these to that blonde boy that just visited me earlier. capeesh?"

"capeesh," the nurse replied, "how the hell can you be so witty with the circumstances at the moment?"

"i use humor to cope," elsie shrugged, not exactly knowing the answer to that question, "and sometimes, i don't know if it's a blessing or a curse. well uh, thanks for this."

"of course, elsie. and i've been looking at your charts and tests. you'll be completely fine, okay?"

"sure, alright," elsie bit her lip ad josie left the room.

"fuck, okay," the brunette girl glared down at the blank papers that laid in front of her, waiting for some kind of writing. how was she going to start this?

--------------

{1011 words}