𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: MACKING ON SARAH CAMERON?

_____________________

"hey, guys. so like, my dad's already gonna kill me. so what's this mandatory meeting about?" pope asked.

"might as well tell him man, before we're gaffed," jj spun a stick around before placing it into the fire.

"you ready for this?" john b wondered as we all responded with a yes. "so, the gold never went down with the royal merchant."

"oh my god. here we go again with this," pope grumbled, annoyed with the whole treasure hunt thing.

"no, all right, wait. here him out, all right?" jj compromised, which was quite surprising.

"it's been here the whole time," john b announced, "it's on the island."

"are you serious? oh my god," kie's eyes widened, as did mine.

"i'd like to voice my skepticism," pope, the voice of reason, spoke out.

"i'm sure you would pope, but can i present you with my evidence, sir?" john b interrupted him.

"proceed," pope dramatically gestured his hand, allowing john b to continue.

"all right, so, in my backpack, i have a letter from denmark tanny."

before i got the chance to reply, kie read my mind, "who the hell's that?"

"denmark tanny was a slave that survived the royal merchant wreck. check this out. here you go," john b handed kie the letter as she scanned it, "okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. that was his big discovery. so tanny used his gold from the merchant to buy his freedom. after that, he bought his farm. drumroll please, because that farm is.... tannyhill plantation."

"tannyhill?" kie questioned with doubt.

"yes. so after that, he used his money to free even more slaves. and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all of the white planters, and then, they decide to lynch him. so on the day they were trying to get him, he writes a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of the letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold."

"where?" kie smiled goofily.

"harvest the wheat, in parcel nine, near the water. except, there's no wheat. you see, wheat is gold for gold. check it out. the gold is in parcel nine, near the water. all we need is an original survey map of the property, and we've found the gold!"

"okay, so this might have a small chance of actually being true," pope stood up.

"dude, it's like king tut," kie beamed as jj picked john b up by the fire.

"i'm so proud of you right now," jj told his best friend.

"thank you. that's really sweet of you," he placed a hand on his cheek dramatically, the bromance being real.

"okay, so, guys. what's the plan?" pope paused our joy.

"good question. so, sarah cameron's coming tonight. she's gonna bring an original survey map-" john b began to explain as kie's faced turned to confusion. oh shit.

"hold on. sarah, wh-why sarah?" kie paused.

"um-" john b stopped in his tracks.

"this is gonna be good," jj looked at the ground and chuckled.

"sarah, um, she. she got me into the archives in chapel hill yesterday, and that's where i got the letter," he clarified.

"you were in chapel hill with sarah cameron?" kie retorted.