Level 12

"Are you even listening to me?" With wide eyes, you jump a bit in your seat.

The question burned in your mind as you picked at your cereal, and the small, apologetic smile reveals more than any words you would have been able to make out.

With an eye roll, your parent chuckles a bit, "I said that today we'd go down to the lake. It's such a nice day out, and it's the perfect opportunity for some family time. After all, you go back in a few weeks."

Had it really been that much time? You continue to pick at your light breakfast, and roll your shoulders back in discomfort. With everything going on, time seemed both excruciatingly slow. Perhaps you just got so caught up in the moments of pain that time really did pass this quickly.

Pushing away the thoughts of returning to another semester of education, you rush to change and make your way to the lake with your parents. With it being so close by, the commute was quite normal each time you'd return. Whether it were snowing or a perfectly sunny day, the lake was the place to be. As it happens to be summer break, you waste no time in jumping into the water. Your parents decide to rest before running in after you, so you wade around.

It felt nearly foreign, being in the lake after so long. Actually, it didn't even feel real. You smile softly and relax while the sun beams onto your face, slowly drifting to float just below the surface.

"How does it feel? You must've missed this place more than us with a look like that!" One of your parents laughs, and slowly wades in towards you.

"It doesn't feel real." You sigh, and swim upright to meet halfway.

"Ah, I'm sure." They smile, and you splash them a bit. As soon as you do, they return with a stronger one. You laugh, and swim closer.

"How about a contest? You know, the one we used to have when you were just a child. Who can hold their breath the longest?" You immediately scoff, and gesture to your parent to go first.

After nearly ten seconds, they resurface, coughing up a storm.

"This will be too easy, oldie." You smile, and prepare to go under yourself.

Shaking any nerves you had, you take a deep breath, then another before submerging. The task of staying under while staying afloat already proving to be more difficult than actually holding your breath.

5 seconds pass, and you signal a thumbs up.

15 before you had to let out a few bubbles.

20 in when you begin to feel the burning sensation.

23 marked the hands on your shoulders, keeping you from floating too far away.

25 marked the release of a few more bubbles.

26 marked the pressure in your head, and you knew it was time to resurface. You won.

28 was the second struggle to stand above the water. You made sure to tap the hands and grip at the wrists. Maybe they were waiting for a tap out?

31 seconds. The burning was unbearable in the wake of panic. You began to shove and push the hands off you. Each time you would push up off the lake bed, it seemed to drag you further into the muck.

34 was the second wave of adrenaline. You had to resurface. No more bubbles let out. Your lungs scream for air. How long does it take until you take in the water? You push and try to swim away, but the muck crept further up your calves.

It was at 38 seconds when you felt yourself lose control. You look up, finding your parents no longer at your sides, yet the feeling remained. The grip on your shoulders refusing to release you. As soon as you look back down, a scream rips at your throat, welcoming a gasp of pure lake water entering your airways. With that comes another gasp, and another. The pair of crimson irises lying beneath the muck only burning into your helpless state. The grip on your ankles pulling you deeper into the lake bed, and with a last final gasp, you watch as your vision washes over.