Chapter 13: Pain That Keeps Us Going

Bumungad sa akin si Yuan pagkalabas ko ng kwarto. Mukhang bagong ligo at may pupuntahan. It was new for me seeing him in a plain white shirt tucked in a faded ripped jeans. Since I came back, I never saw him in casual clothing going out. He was always dress shirts and formal pants.

"Saan punta mo?" tanong ko.

"Club," he simply replied and wandered his eyes to my outfit. It's a simple black tube crop top that I partnered with white jeans. He had this disapproving look but didn't say anything.

That's the thing about Yuan and my brothers. They were never controlling. Noon pa man, nasusuot ko na kung anong gusto ko at nakakagala ako kahit saan ko gusto as long as nagpapaalam ako at hindi ko ikakapahamak.

Then I remembered his answer and an idea popped up. An idea that would definitely benefit me. Kung hindi ako nagkakamali, club party din ni Kara ang pupuntahan niya. It only took a sweet and kind smile from me and he instantly knew what I wanted. He miserably shook his head knowing he couldn't dispute.

"Are you done?" he asked.

"Just a second."

Bumalik ako sa kwarto para kunin at isuot sa balikat ang fur coat ko in case I'd feel the coldness of the night. I also put on a shade to complete the get up. Paglabas ay nadatnan ko si Yuan na naghihintay na sa pinto at nakatingin sa kanyang cellphone. He looked up and smirked seeing me.

"Where's the sun?"

Naikot ko na lang ang aking mga mata sa kumento niya. I followed him all the way to the basement parking. It's my first time clubbing in months and I can freely get wasted since I'd never have to worry driving later.

Pinakiusapan ko si Yuan na sunduin muna namin si Cha bago dumiretso sa club. Her dad still allowed her to go without bodyguards. Their deal's effective the whole day, that's what she said. Hindi na rin namin sinabi ang nangyari kanina.

"I'm sorry to bother you both. He wouldn't let me drive alone," she spouted upon entering the backseat sporting a fitted white off-shoulder top and cargo pants. Yeah the cargo pants is just so Chaleen.

"No worries, we got a driver here," biro ko habang nililingon siya at itinuro si Yuan na seryoso ang tingin sa daan. Cha laughed as the latter muttered a 'what the hell'.

Ilang sandali lang ay huminto na ang kotse sa carpark na nasa tapat lang ng Candlelight. It's the name of the VIP exclusive club Kara rented for this party. It's also the first time she's holding this. Her 22nd birthday served as her freedom from formal parties her parents always arranged every year before kaya tuwang-tuwa siya ngayon. Formal parties were never her thing, too boring for her liking. She always believed she's made for club parties.

We didn't waste more time and went inside the new American-styled club where blinding lights and electric music blasted by the DJ welcomed us. The good vibes were already flowing like a virus despite the youngness of the night. Everything in the place felt alive, all hyped up and ready to give us a good time. Nagbago lang iyon noong pumasok kami. The music was still blaring in the background but people seemed to have forgotten their moment for a while. Napirme ang mga namamanghang tingin ng lahat sa akin. Sinundan ko sina Yuan at Chaleen na nauunang naglalakad patungo sa couch namin. Following me were the eyes from the wilding and wasted crowd.

Then it hit me. The night wasn't so young at all. Alas diez y media na nang makarating kami roon at paniguradong kanina pa sila nagpaparty.

"Go, girl! Flaunt that abs!" sigaw sa akin ni Kara nang makita niya kaming paparating at nakita ang suot ko. She was wearing a sparkly oversized jersey ending above her knees that covered her shorts and a gray leg-length boots. It was such a cute outfit that suited her physique and personality very well.