𝟬𝟭𝟬 family secrets

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN.
family secrets

     THE DRIVE HOME after the movie night and the chaos that followed was spent in complete silence, no one really saying much to each other

THE DRIVE HOME after the movie night and the chaos that followed was spent in complete silence, no one really saying much to each other. During the drive, Nova sat in the passenger seat next to Kiara, who was the designated driver for the entire journey back, whilst Juno had blatantly told JJ and Pope off for messing with Topper's boat and getting themselves into another fight, her angered tone ringing through the old Volkswagen for a short few minutes. That was until Kiara dropped the O'Connell girl home, allowing the deafening silence to flood the air once again.

Occasionally, Nova would hear the quiet murmures exchanged between JJ and Pope, the two boys talking back and forth quietly about the fight from earlier. But other than that, the drive to Nova's house ( she insisted she walked back, but Kiara was nice enough to offer her a ride home. Surprising, she knows. But it was dark and walking home late at night always came with dangers — one that Nova would rather avoid ) was spent in silence. No talking. No radio. Just silence.

Nova didn't have any complaints about the drive home. Of course, there were times where she absolutely despised the deafening silence, but after the long and agonising night she had, Nova would rather wallow in the quiet instead of the chaos. It gave her space to think, and after tonight, she had plenty of thoughts consuming her hyperactive brain.

One of those thoughts being the fact that her and Rafe were over — their relationship fading away in a matter of seconds. Nova didn't even know why she was so surprised. Her and Rafe's relationship was doomed the second they fell into a dark hole of drugs and addiction together, their relationship becoming nothing more than a continuous fight. It took Nova a while to realise that her relationship with Rafe was built on pain and toxicity, but now that she had come to the conclusion that he was no good for her, Nova felt free from him and his hold over her — something she had never felt until tonight.

It was a relief to say the least. And now that Nova and Rafe's story had drawn to a close, Nova was free to start fresh without fear of what Rafe would do to her next.