𝟬𝟮𝟯 1 step forward, 3 steps back

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

1 step forward, 3 steps back

     THE ROYAL MERCHANT seemed to leave a trail of bodies in the aftermath of its devastating end when it sunk to the bottom of the ocean, many individuals dying to get their hands on the fortune that went down with it: John Routledge, Riley Van K...

THE ROYAL MERCHANT seemed to leave a trail of bodies in the aftermath of its devastating end when it sunk to the bottom of the ocean, many individuals dying to get their hands on the fortune that went down with it: John Routledge, Riley Van Kirk, Scooter Grubbs, the Square Groupers, and even Sheriff Susan Peterkin ( the woman was nothing more than collateral damage, but she still suffered the consequences, like everyone else before her ), each of them meeting their bitter end, all for an ancient island mystery and the treasure buried underneath it.

The one they all had it common was that they didn't ask for death to wrap his hand around their throats and steal the air from their lungs, and their souls from within, a dark bank of clouds and an overcast of shadows hanging over them until they were nothing more than ghosts. Before that they were all unwilling victims to a rich man's vendetta, his desire to secure his own fortune outweighing his morals until they became nonexistent in his eyes and even the eyes of others. Except everyone was so blinded by his charming facade and his seemingly good heart to realise their was a monster living amongst the residents of Outer Banks.

     It was a harsh reality, but it was the truth because Ward Cameron may have acted like a distinguished gentleman — a family man with kind features and a warm soul, who would offer a helping hand to those in need. But all of that was a ploy to cover up the fact that he was a stone cold killer. Ward Cameron was death himself, wreaking havoc on the lives of people who he saw as a threat until they were nothing more than a corpse, a lifeless body of the person they once was before their untimely demise. The worse part in all this wasn't just the long list of deaths caused by Ward, it was that now, his own son seemed to be following in his footsteps.

     That was the other thing all these victims had in common: they all died at the hands of a Cameron. And Nova Van Kirk would do anything in her power to prove Ward Cameron and Rafe Cameron were guilty.

     However, going up against one of the most respected families in all of the Outer Banks was deemed harder than Nova had originally anticipated. After escaping from the cops, who were now after John B since Ward framed him for a murder he didn't commit, it didn't take long for a wild hunt of well decorated officers to stretch out across the entire island, searching through every inch, corner and crevice for the teenage fugitive. It sent the group into hiding, knowing it was best to avoid the cops until they could come up with a plan to keep John B out of jail and prove he didn't kill Sheriff Peterkin.