Chapter 8

Manik and Nandini searched for Cabir everywhere but they couldn't find him. 

Nandini : Manik, Mukti had gone behind Cabir. Maybe usse pata ho Cabir kaha hai. 

Manik : Yes, maybe. Let's go to the canteen.

They headed towards the canteen. 

In the canteen

Manik and Nandini reached the table where everyone was seated previously. 

Nandini : Mukti, Cabir kaha hai? 

Mukti : Pata nahi Nandini. I tried to find him. I checked the jam room, auditorium, every place he might have been in. Lekin woh mujhe kahi nahi mila. Pata nahi kaha chala gaya yeh. 

Manik : Shitt.. What have I done? 

He shut his eyes in self-disgust. He rubbed his hand on his face. Suddenly, a thought struck him. 

Manik : I think I know where he might be. 

Manik was about to leave when Nandini held his hand. He turned to look at her.

Nandini : Mei bhi saath chalti hu. 

Manik : No Nandini. I'll handle it. Tum yaha ruko and please jyada stress mat lo. Also, Dr. Arohi has told you to rest. (Looking towards Mukti) Mukti, tu please Nandini ka dhyaan rakhna. Don't let her go anywhere.

Mukti nodded. He turned back towards Nandini and cupped her cheeks.

Manik : I'll make it alright. I promise. 

Nandini nodded.

Nandini : Please don't lose your cool this time. 

Manik : I won't.

He reassured her and left from the canteen. 

Dhruv : I hope inn dono ke beech sab thik ho jaaye. 

Nandini : Don't worry Dhruv. Manik ne bola hai naa, toh he'll make everything alright. 

Outside the college building

A plethora of memories flashed through Manik's mind on his way to the place where he thought Cabir might be. When he reached the backside of the college building, he found Cabir sitting there on the lone bench with his back facing towards him, looking at the lush green trees ahead. This was the place where Cabir went when he wanted to be away from the world and alone with his thoughts. Manik knew this place because Cabir took him there when Manik was struggling with his feelings after his breakup with Nandini and couldn't talk to anyone about it, unbeknownst to the fact that Cabir had sensed his torment. Cabir had told Manik that this place helped him gather his thoughts and make the right decisions. ‘It provides me with some unknown kind of peace’, Cabir had said. Manik remembered. He smiled at the memory. He walked towards Cabir. When Manik was behind him, he called out.

Manik : Cabir..

Cabir had heard some footsteps but he didn't think it would be Manik. On hearing his voice, Cabir wiped off the few teardrops that had fallen from his eyes. He sure was angry with Manik for talking nonsense but more than angry, he was hurt. Hurt that his childhood friend would think and say something like what Manik had said. Had those words come from anyone else, Cabir wouldn't have cared. But coming from Manik, those words pierced his heart. 

Cabir : Manik tu kyu aaya hai yaha? Chala jaa yaha se. Mujhe tujhse koi baat nahi karni hai.

Manik came and stood in front of Cabir. 

Manik : Cabir ek baar meri baat toh sun le. Please. Please Cabir! Ek baar. 

Cabir : Manik please meri aakhon ke saamne se chala jaa. I don't want to talk to you or see your face. Just leave me alone and go. Aur vaise bhi bolne ke liye bacha hi kya hai? Sab kuch toh bol diya hai tune. Ab aur kya bolna chahta hai? Ab private mei meri aur insult karni hai kya?