Chapter 9

*Flashback*

Nandini received a call from an unknown number so she excused herself and came out of the canteen to receive the call. She pressed the green button.

Nandini : Hello.

Person on the other side : Hello, Nandini. It's Arohi. 

Nandini : Oh Arohi. Haa bol na? 

Arohi : Nandini, tu kaha hai? 

Nandini : Mei college mei hu. Kya hua hai Arohi? Everything alright? 

Arohi : Nandini, tu please abhi hospital aa sakti hai? I need to discuss something really important. 

Nandini : Yeah, I can come. Sab thik hai na Arohi?

Arohi : Nandini, mei phone par kuch nahi bata sakti. Tu please jaldi se yaha aa jaa. Milkar baat karte hai. 

Nandini : Okay. Mei aati hu.

She ended the call. ‘Arohi ne itne urgently kyu bulaya? I hope sab thik ho. Kahi mere reports toh nahi aagaye? Par Arohi tensed sound kar rahi thi. Kahi reports mei toh kuch.. Nahi Nandini. Reports thik hi honge. Kuch bhi mat soch.’ she pondered. After completing her self-talk, she tried calling Manik. Manik didn't receive her calls. 

Nandini : (to herself) I think Manik is still with Cabir. Mujhe akele hi jaana hoga. I'll talk to him after meeting Arohi. 

She took an auto and left for the hospital.

At the hospital

On reaching the hospital, Nandini went to the reception and asked about Dr. Arohi. The receptionist gave her the directions to Dr. Arohi's cabin and she made her way towards her cabin. When she reached the cabin, she knocked on the door. 

Dr. Arohi : Come in. 

Nandini pushed the door open and entered. Dr. Arohi was seated on her chair. 

Dr. Arohi : Arey Nandini tu. Aa baith. 

Nandini sat on the chair opposite Dr. Arohi's. 

Nandini : Kya hua Arohi? Itna urgently kyu bulaya? Sab thik hai na? 

Dr. Arohi : Mei sab batati hu. Manik nahi aaya? 

Nandini : Woh maine usse call kiya tha lekin usne uthaya nahi. Uske aur uske friend ke beech ek choti si fight ko gayi thi aur Manik wo hi solve karne gaya tha. Isliye mei akele hi aagayi. I didn't want to make him worried. You know na woh meri kitni tension leta hai. 

Dr. Arohi smiled at that. 

Dr. Arohi : Nandini tere reports aa gaye hai. Isliye maine tujhe yaha bulaya. 

Nandini : Ohh.. Kya aaya hai reports mei? 

Dr. Arohi got up from her chair and walked towards Nandini. She leaned against the table. She knew what she was about to say would turn Nandini's world upside down. But as a doctor, it was her duty to convey the truth to her patients, no matter how bitter it may be. And as a friend, she wanted to be there for Nandini. She kept a hand on Nandini's shoulder, assuming it to provide some kind of comfort. 

Dr. Arohi : Dekh Nandini, what I am about to tell you is going to change your life. But please be strong. And try to absorb my words. I know it will be difficult but you have the right to know. 

Nandini didn't like the tone of Dr. Arohi's words. Something in her gut told her that this conversation will cast a shadow over her happiness. And what Dr. Arohi said, did exactly that or maybe worse. Although she was seated on the chair, she held the table for support. She was completely taken aback. She couldn't come to terms with what she heard. She reduced to tears. She held her face in her hands and wailed. At that moment, all she wanted was for Manik to be by her side. To be her backbone. To tell her that everything would be okay. That this storm will pass too. But he wasn't there. Her source of strength wasn't with her. Dr. Arohi squeezed her shoulder to give some support. She didn't know what else to do. After a few minutes, Nandini composed herself and wiped off those tears. She got up from the chair.