Chapter 14

Manik : Kya matlab? 

Mukti : It's one of the symptoms, Manik. 

Manik gave her a confused look.

Manik : What symptoms? Kya bol rahi hai tu?

Mukti was exasperated. 'How could this boy be so naive?', she thought. She rapidly typed away something on her phone and showed it to Manik. 

Mukti : Yeh dekh. 

The page read : Symptoms of brain tumor 

Changes in speech, hearing, memory, or emotional state, such as aggressiveness can develop from a tumor in the frontal and temporal lobe of the cerebrum.

Manik looked at Mukti after reading what she had shown. He was dumbfounded. 

Mukti : Manik, we all know ki Nandini kabhi tujhse aise baat nahi karegi. No matter how furious you get, she's the one who always remains calm. I think it was her tumor talking. Warna Nandini aisi cheeze kabhi nahi bolti. And I think tu bhi kuch zyada hi bhadak gaya. Manik tu jaanta hai Nandini tujhse hi pyaar karti hai. Aur usne bola na that Anant is just a friend. Toh he is just a friend. You shouldn't have talked to her in such a tone Manik. Usse kitna bura laga hoga when you accused her like that. 

Manik lowered his head in shame. He realized that he had said a lot of things in anger. Unknowingly, he had accused Nandini and his words portrayed that he didn't trust her. He mentally smacked himself in the face for losing his cool. ‘How could he have hurt her like that?’, he thought.

Manik : I'm sorry. 

Mukti's heart bled at Manik's plight. She kept a hand on his shoulder to provide some comfort. 

Mukti : (softly) Manik, mujhe nahi, Nandini ko jaakar sorry bol. She might have been really hurt. 

Manik : How could I have been so careless? How did I not realize it earlier? Uski life mei problems kum hai kya ki maine bhi aaj.. Oh God! What the hell is wrong with me? How could I have been so harsh and unmindful?

Manik looked up. His eyes were red with anger. But this time his frustration was directed towards himself. Mukti looked at him but his eyes were focused somewhere else. She tapped on his cheek.

Mukti : Manik, look at me. Manikkk..

He shifted his gaze to her face. There was a look of emptiness in his eyes. 

Mukti : Manik, this is not the time to be angry with yourself. You have to be with Nandini. She needs you. No matter what she says or does Manik, always remember one thing : Nandini loves you and she needs you in her life. Never forget this. Okay? 

Mukti said all this with a hidden purpose that Manik didn't know about. He bobbed his head in response. 

Manik : I think I should go. I need to apologize to Nandini for my belligerent behavior. 

Mukti : Yeah, you should. 

Manik : Thanks Mukti. Agar tu nahi hoti toh..

Mukti cut him off angrily.

Mukti : Shut up Manik! Yeh kya har baat par thank you thank you laga rakha hai? Aur agar mei nahi hoti toh kya haa? Mei hu na Manik. And I'll always be here whenever you need me. (Pointing a finger towards him) Aur yeh mei tujhe aakhri baar keh rahi hu. Samjha?  

Manik didn't know what to say, so he just hugged her to express his gratitude. Mukti hugged him back and patted his shoulder.  

Mukti : Chal ab, jaa.