Chapter 29

Manik was shocked would be an understatement. As soon as his eyes fell on Nandini, he found her comfortably seated on the bed, staring right into his eyes. Her face held a blank expression, giving nothing away about what lay ahead for Manik. Taking small steps, Manik started to walk towards Nandini, still unconvinced at what he was seeing. Silently, Dr. Arohi left the room to give them their privacy. Manik was just about to touch Nandini's cheek to check whether he was hallucinating yet again or not but Nandini put her palm up in the air, signalling him to stop. Manik's hand stopped mid-air as his doubts proved to be untrue and tears welled up in his eyes. 

Nandini : Mujhe nahi pata tha ki London se hospital aane mei sirf..(she glanced towards the clock on the right wall)..15 minutes lagte hai Manik. 

She spoke in a dangerously calm tone. The calm that hinted towards a storm. Manik's eyeballs widened as realization dawned on his face. 

Manik : Ye-Yeh sab ek jhooth tha?

He asked disbelievingly. 

Nandini : Haan. 

This was all Nandini said as an answer, her face devoid of emotions. Manik gaped at her.

Manik : Kyu? 

Anger shone in Nandini's eyes at his question. Was he seriously asking her that? 

Nandini : Aur koi option choda tha tumne mere paas Manik? Pichle ek hafte se bahar khade saare log mujhse jhooth bol rahe hai. Chachi tak mujhse jhooth bol rahi hai. Jabhi mei tumhare baare mei puchti hu, sabke chehro ka rang aise udd jaata hai jaise pata nahi maine kya puch lia ho. Aisa lagta hai jaise woh log jaante hi nahi hai ki tum kaha ho. Aur aaj? Kya laga tha tumhe Manik? Tum woh noodles Mukti ke haathon mere liye bhejoge aur mujhe pata bhi nahi chalega ki woh tumne banaye hai? Manik, mei sab kuch bhul sakti hu lekin tumhare banaye hue noodles ka taste mei marne ke baad bhi nahi bhul sakti hu. 

Nandini affirmed. Manik turned his gaze away, guilt wrapping around his heart. Tears had started to flow down her cheeks as she lashed out on Manik. She was tired of hearing the lies. She was tired of being away from him. But most of all, she was tired of assuming the reasons behind his behavior. She wanted answers and she wanted them now. So, she wiped her tears with the back of her hand, ready to take all the anguish that would come along with the answers to her questions.

Nandini : Mei jhooth sun sunkar thak gayi hu Manik. Ab mujhe sirf sach sunn na hai. Isliye please mujhpar ek ehsaan kar do aur mere sawaalon ka jawaab de do. Aur sirf sach bolna. Please Manik. Uske baad agar tum chaho toh mei tumhe apni shakal kabhi nahi dikhaungi. 

Nandini put a stone on her heart as she made the last statement while Manik's head shot up at it. His heart broke at the agony laced in her voice. With emotions clogged up in his throat, he found it difficult to speak. So, he meekly nodded his head, indicating Nandini to go ahead. 

Nandini : Tumne sabse kaha tha ki mujhse jhooth bole? 

Manik shook his head in affirmation. Nandini sucked in a deep breath to control the tears that threatened to fall at his answer. 

Nandini : Jis raat mujhe hosh aaya tha, uss raat tum mujhse milne aaye the na?

He bobbed his head. A small smile formed across Nandini's face but faded away as she contemplated her next question.

Nandini : Tum Mumbai mei hi the na?

Manik nodded his head again. A stream of tears trickled down Nandini's cheek. She knew the answers to all these questions but Manik's confirmations were still like stabs in her heart. All this while, Manik's head was lowered, the remorse making it impossible for him to face Nandini.