Chapter 12

Manik got out of his car and hurried towards the door. He rang the doorbell. A servant opened the door.

Manik : Mukti?

Servant : Woh apne room mei hai.

Manik ran towards Mukti's room and barged in without knocking. Mukti was sleeping tranquilly. The sudden noise didn't seem to disturb her slumber. Manik went towards the bed and shook her violently.

Manik : Mukti.. Get up naa.. Mukti..

Mukti : (groggily) Kya hai? Itni subah subah kaun utha tha hai? Mujhe sone do.

She turned to the other side of the bed and covered her face with the duvet. Manik pulled off the duvet from her face and tried to wake her up again.

Manik : Mukti yaar, uth naa. Bahut important hai. Please uth jaa....

Mukti opened her eyes and rubbed to get a clear vision of the person who disturbed her sleep. She got up and sat on the bed. She looked at the watch on her bedside table. It showed 8:30 AM.

Mukti : Kya hai yaar Manik? It's 8:30 in the morning. What the hell is so urgent at this hour?

She appeared to be annoyed.

Manik : It's about Nandini.

Mukti's eyes widened at the mention of Nandini. She was completely awake now. Manik had a serene smile on his face. Looking at his smile, a thought crossed Mukti's mind. Her lips curved upwards too.

Mukti : Is it what I'm thinking?

She asked hopefully. Manik nodded. Mukti's smile widened. She jumped out of the bed and wrapped her arms around Manik's neck.

Mukti : I can't believe it. You found it already? I knew you would but I didn't know you would do it in a night.

Manik : Don't get too excited Mukti.

Mukti removed her hands from around his neck and frowned. He didn't let her bask in happiness for even a few seconds. Manik continued,

Manik : There's just an infinitesimal amount of hope. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves already. Also, he's in the US. (dejectedly) We don't even know if he'll agree to come to India for Nandini's surgery.

Mukti : If he doesn't come here, we'll take Nandini there. Manik, at least there's some amount of hope. No matter how small. We can save Nandini, Manik. And I know you'll do anything and everything to save her.

Manik : Yes, I will. But I don't know Mukti. Nandini ne mujhe kuch nahi bataya. The entire time we were together yesterday, she tried to hide her sadness. And trust me, she did a pretty good job. If I hadn't known about her tu.. (he shut his eyes in pain and took a deep breath) tumor, I would have been fooled. I waited for her to tell me, but she didn't even hint towards it.

He sighed sadly. Mukti put a hand on his shoulder.

Mukti : Manik, Nandini's life took a 360° turn in a moment. She'll need time to even accept the news herself let alone break it to you. Uske tumor ke baare mei baat karte hue bhi tujhe itna hurt hota hai. Tu thik se bol bhi nahi paata hai. Usko toh iss cheez se deal karna hai Manik. It's her reality. Manik agar tujhe isse itna hurt ho raha hai toh usko tujhse zyada hurt ho raha hoga. Let her take her time Manik. She'll tell you.

Mukti blinked her eyes in reassurance. Manik looked at Mukti. She really had grown up a lot. And he was glad that she was by his side in this phase of life.

Mukti : Arey inn sab baato mei, main baat toh hum bhul hi gaye.

Manik : Ohh yeah. It's Dr. Mehra. He's the best neurosurgeon in the US. In fact one of the best in the world. And he has an impeccable record with complex brain surgeries. I think he will be able to save Nandini. He's our only hope to save her life.