Chapter 27

*Two weeks later*

It had been the most agonizing 14 days of Manik's life. Nandini was still unconscious, despite the withdrawal of the medication that put her in a deep state of slumber. And to add to Manik's miseries, Chacha had decided not to leave Nandini's side, not even for a second. Chachi and Abhimanyu had attempted to change his decision but failed miserably. Chacha was adamant on being by Nandini's side, every second of the day as well as the night. That left Manik with no chance to visit the hospital or be close to Nandini. It had been two weeks since he had physically felt her presence around him. Two weeks since he had taken her hand in his or caressed her hair or planted a kiss on her forehead. Abhimanyu kept giving him hourly updates about Nandini's health. Every opportunity Abhimanyu or Chachi got, they would video call Manik so that he could at least see Nandini and talk to her, just as Dr. Mehra had advised. But that wasn't enough for him. It wasn't the same as being in the same room as her. Being around her, gave him some sense of assurance that she was with him. That nothing was going to happen to her. That they would be just fine. His patience was wearing out and it was only a matter of time until he would land up in Nandini's room at the hospital, caring about nothing more than seeing her in flesh, in front of his eyes. 

Manik was seated on the bed when Alya, Dhruv, Mukti and Cabir entered his bedroom. They came and stood in front of him but he didn't notice their presence. When Cabir kept a hand on his shoulder, Manik came out of his trance. 

Manik : Arey guys tumlog kab aaye?

He asked as he put on his mirthful façade. The one he had been putting on in front of them, since the last 14 days. Not even once, in the past 14 days, had he shown how much his heart hurt to be away from Nandini. He was the one who kept their hopes alive. He was the one who said that everything would be alright. He was always his positive self around them. But they knew that the distance had been killing him, bit by bit, every single day. They knew that he was putting up a brave act in front of the world and behind closed doors, his wall of strength was crumbling to pieces. And today, they could see it in his stance when they entered his room. Those worry lines on his forehead and those droopy shoulders when he was lost in his thoughts, told an entirely different story from the one he portrayed to be true. Before any of them could answer his question, Manik's phone started to ring. He fished it out of his pocket and glanced at the screen. Manik's eyes widened as he looked at the name of the caller. 

Cabir : Kaun hai? 

Cabir queried as he saw the change in Manik's expressions.

Manik : Inspector Deshmukh. 

All of them became alert as Manik mentioned the name of the caller.

Mukti : Manik, speaker. 

Manik nodded his head. He received the call and put it on speaker. 

Inspector : Hello, Mr. Malhotra?

Manik : Yes, Inspector. Kuch pata chala?

In Dr. Mehra's cabin

Chacha and Chachi were seated on the chairs opposite to Dr. Mehra and Abhimanyu was standing besides Chacha. Dr. Mehra was studying Nandini's latest brain scans. Chachi, Chacha and Abhimanyu were waiting eagerly for him to replenish their spirits with some good news. Dr. Mehra kept the scans on the table and looked up at them.

Dr. Mehra : The scans are good. Nandini ke brain mei koi nayi swelling ya infection nahi hua hai. Humne Nandini ko behoshi ki medicines dena toh bandh kar hi dia hai. Ab hume sirf uske hosh mei aane ka wait karna hai. 

Dr. Mehra's words dampened the hope with which they had entered his cabin. This was the exact same thing he had told them, two days ago. Dejection covered Abhimanyu's features. Chacha let out a despondent sigh. How long would it be until Nandini would open her eyes again? No matter how strong he acted, his heart ached to listen to his daughter's chirpy voice. But Chachi's level of tolerance was dead.