Chapter Two

Nodding at all that Dr. Basu was saying and promising to practice all the exercises that he had shown her, Bhairavi was finally excused from speech therapy by the reluctant doctor. Since there had been no marked improvement, nor any effort on her part, it was mutually decided that the sessions should stop for the time being. Namma was considerate enough to know when to push her and when to give her space.

Dropping her off at home, Namma left for their cafe, promising to bring dessert. Bhairavi waved to her from the window till she was out of sight before heaving a sigh of relief. She loved Namma to death but did not like being coddled and surrounded all the time. Ever since her parents died, she had realized that she required no company to dispel solitude, instead she welcomed it.

Making herself some coffee, she decided to watch some TV. She was in a better mood than she had been since the accident. Maybe because she had finally slept well last night, without any nightmares. Well rested and armed with caffeine, she took Summer into her lap and flipped through the channels. Finding nothing worth watching, she settled for a random action movie where a car chase scene was going on.

Scratching a drowsy Summer behind her ears, apparently it was a female cat, she marveled over her beautiful golden skin. The cat purred and rolled over in her lap before falling asleep again. Smiling, Bhairavi turned to watch the TV, things would never be normal, but maybe they would get better.

Since it was a Sunday and Namma usually worked late on weekends, Bhairavi decided to go for a walk in the afternoon. It had rained all night and since the sky had been overcast all morning, the roads were wet and muddy. Bhairavi walked carefully, not wanting to slip and fall.

Briefly, her mind went back to her fall yesterday and the lack of cuts, but she pushed it out of her mind. She had been exhausted yesterday, and must have imagined it. And for what happened after the shower....well, she was sure she had hallucinated it. As she reached the main street which was crowded with shops, she remembered the bookstore and decided to pay it a proper visit.

Tapping her pocket, Bhairavi felt relieved that she had not forgotten her wallet, and set off for her destination. On reaching the store, she was reminded of the overenthusiastic employee. Oh dear, if that man followed her while she browsed the racks again, she was going to give him the middle finger. Wary, Bhairavi entered the store and slowly made her way down the aisles, but to her relief no employee was in sight.

Wandering, she flipped open a few books before her eye caught a title, 'The Mind and its mysteries'. Intrigued, she decided to check the page of contents. The topics ranged from Freud's theory of the structure of the mind to tips on how to activate one's third eye. Checking the price tag, she decided to buy it.

While searching for the billing counter, she was passing by the dimly lit Mythology section when her attention was drawn to a gorgeous book cover. The ten-armed Goddess Durga was illustrated on the cover, but what drew her breathe was the beautiful serene expression on half of her face, while the other half was contorted in rage and fury. The title read, 'Das Mahavidya' or the Ten forms of the Great Goddess of Wisdom. Checking its price, Bhairavi winced. She could not afford both the books, but she was attracted by both. Hugging both the books, she made her way to the billing counter, conflicted.

Contemplating which book to buy, she looked around for an employee but found none. How strange, she thought, on other days she was troubled by overenthusiastic employees while today she saw none. Hearing the drop of a heavy book, she turned immediately, her nape prickling with tension. A boy, of her age, had dropped a heavy book and was picking it up. But when he stood, for a second, Bhairavi's vision flickered and haziness filled her vision. The light and colors seemed to merge around him and she thought she saw something....but then it all cleared up and she blinked, confused. The boy came up to her, smiling, "How can I help you, miss?"