Epilogue

It was the festival of Durga Puja, and the day was Maha Ashtami. The city was decked like a young bride, with gorgeous lights and colorful advertising banners. Every nook of the city had it's own Puja, be it a traditional one or themed, be it big or small.

The smell of dhuno and camphor seemed to touch every soul and make hearts skip a beat to the tune of the dhaakis. The speakers of respective pandals were announcing the commencement of Pushpanjali and urging people to hurry.

Bhairavi was almost ready. She pressed a tiny bindi to the middle of her forehead and stepped back, perusing her appearance in the mirror. She had gone all traditional today, a bindi, dark kohl lining her eyes, a hint of nude lipstick, and of course, concealer to hide the bruises.

Forget the concealing of a million bruises, wearing the saree the right way took an hour and several cusses. She had been up since five, getting ready.

"Bhairavi? Baccha how long are you going to take? The Anjali will begin in five minutes."

Bhairavi checked herself one last time before turning to move quickly and winced. Her ribs still hurt like hell, and her knee and wrist had to be bandaged. She would have required medical attention if not for Samanya. He had quickly brewed a couple of potions for her, one which made her injuries heal quicker, and another which healed her body on the inside.

She had used too much of her powers at one go without a lot of practice. Samanya said that she was lucky her mortal flesh had survived the heat of her Tapas, most probably because of her Divine blood. Either way, a week had passed since then and Bhairavi had spent all her time resting during the day and pandal hopping a little during the evenings with Namma, Samanya and Summer.

"She might be in pain or something, Namma. Let me check. I am coming in Bhairavi. I hope you are decent," said Samanya before entering. Bhairavi scowled at him, 'I wanted you to see me last. I wore a saree after such hard work. Not fair!'

But her words fell on deaf ears as Samanya stared at her with a gaping mouth. Even Bhairavi got distracted by his white kurta, with the sleeves rolled up and taut over his muscles. Catching herself before she could drool, she cleared her head with great difficulty of naughty scenarios, all of which included them getting really late and messed up.

'Samanya, Samanya, hey. Aren't we getting late?' Bhairavi snapped her fingers in front of him. Samanya snapped out of his daze with a shy grin and scratched his head, "Sorry. It's just...you look...breathtaking. Uhm, sorry. You fine, right? Does it hurt?"

Bhairavi shook her head, and smiled, 'I am fine. Let's go. Plus, thanks. Seems waking up at five paid off for me.' Samanya's eyes widened. "You woke at five in the morning to get ready!? Are you crazy?? Why on earth would you do that!? What does it matter that you wear a saree and...oh...." Realization dawned on Samanya while Bhairavi rolled her eyes, 'You are such an idiot.'

"I agree, mistress. How dare he tell me that I cannot go for the Anjali?? My father is being prayed to and appreciated for helping Maa Durga, while I, his daughter, am not allowed to enter? Who decides that!?"

Laughing, Bhairavi bent, ignoring the pain in her ribs and her screaming knee, 'My sweet Summer. The pandal people make the rules. And they don't know your parentage now, do they? They see you only as a cat. But we do. And I promise, I will get you fish cutlets today, if you stay at home like a good lioness. How does that sound?'

"You drive a hard bargain, mistress. Fine. Come soon. And get me some cheese too. Mozzarella, preferably." Summer sniffed, before settling down on Bhairavi's bed for a nap. Bhairavi grinned, before turning to look at Samanya and found him staring at her intensely.