Chapter Fourteen

"The alarm will ring to alert you that an hour has passed, as usual. I am going to prepare dinner. After you wake up, we will resume mental combat."

Bhairavi nodded with a small smile, and hoped it was convincing enough. On closing her eyes, she started to focus on each of her senses. First the skin, she felt goosebumps erupting and concentrated hard to make her focus immune to any tactile sensation.

Next she focused on her ears to shut out any noises coming from the kitchen, next her nose, to make her sensory nerves not smell, next her tongue, and lastly her eyes to not register phosphenes.

As she focused on them, she felt the familiar black swirl engulf her and take her to the Sea of Consciousness. Normally, while meditating she kept herself in contact with reality to not lose herself and easily return, but this time she detached herself and on reaching the Sea, she did not hesitate. She plunged deep into the Sea of Consciousness with only one goal in mind, to find the answer to her question, Why was she the way she was.

Instead of 'Om', she kept on chanting the Mool Mantra of Goddess Tripura Bhairavi, Om Hreem Bhairavi Kalaum Hreem Svaha. She lost count, lost track, lost every bit of consciousness except uttering Om Hreem Bhairavi Kalaum Hreem Svaha. As her mind filled with warmth, she felt liberated from her human consciousness and form, she  traversed towards the warmth and simply floated into it.

** Maa was sleeping on the bed alone, when suddenly the Goddess Tripura Bhairavi appeared. Maa jumped up with a start, immediately threw herself at her feet, and started weeping tears of joy.

"Get up, Ambika, one should not bend in such a condition, even if you are only a few weeks pregnant. I have heard you pray to me tirelessly, asking for only one glimpse. I am pleased with your devotion, tell me, what does your heart desire?"

"Maa Bhairavi, you are omniscient, you know how I struggle to become pregnant and have had several  miscarriages. I cannot afford to lose my child again, I will die. Please, please protect my child, make sure he or she is a strong baby and lives a long, healthy life. I beg you, I want nothing else."

"Ambika, I can ensure that your pregnancy is smooth, but I cannot promise that he or she will have a long life as such. Fates of mortals are not controlled by me, Yama sees to that."

"I beg you, please. Atleast ensure that my child does not die immediately on birth like my last two miscarriages, I cannot bear holding my dead new born to my breast again."

The Goddess felt sympathy for her, all the human wanted was to have a healthy child.

"Okay. I will grant this wish of yours. Tathastu"

As Maa wept tears of joy, the Goddess vanished, and she woke from her dream, smiling. **

** A beautiful, red-faced baby girl lay in a cradle and the Goddess appeared in front of her. She stared at the little creature with adoration, for she had watched over her and made sure she was born safely.

As the Goddess bent to touch her, she saw with horror that the baby had an aura of death around her. She would not survive, she was too weak. Unable to go back on her word, and already too fond of her, the Goddess took a decision and acted on it before she regretted it.

Cutting her own palm, she raised it over the baby's mouth and coaxed her to drink from it. She intended to feed her three drops of blood, to make her an extra strong human girl. Suddenly, Maa Tripura Bhairavi heard the voice of her Consort Lord Kal Bhairav call out to her and while she turned to listen to it, two more drops fell into her mouth.