Chapter Seventeen

Next morning, Samanya rolled off the sofa, groaning from the soreness in his neck and back. After spending time acting shady in the bazaar, he had bought a strip of sleeping meds, a nice jute rope, and some chewing gum.

Rubbing his neck, he got up to see the bathroom occupied and realized Bhairavi had woken even earlier. He went to find the owner lady, and after sidestepping all her winks and questions about how well they slept, ordered breakfast.

On returning he found Bhairavi drying her hair and getting ready. She had already dressed up in a full sleeve button up shirt and capris while her winter coat lay on the bed. Smiling, he wished her good morning.

With a serious expression she wished back, and he realized that Bhairavi was a bit nervous. He did not push her but promised himself that if need arose, and somehow she was unable to defeat his father, he would do it for her and get her out safely even if it was the last thing he ever did.

Other than his mother, no one had ever felt like family till he met Bhairavi. She accepted him and appreciated him just the way he was, and that made him feel alive again. He would not confess how he felt to her till she was ready for it, maybe never. All he knew was that he would follow her to the end of the world to be of use to her.

After putting the lipstick back in her bag, she looked up to find Samanya staring at her intensely. But she did not allow herself to be swayed by it, not today. Today was all about doing the right thing and setting the people of Aritar free from the tyranny of Jaragarbha, along with quenching her vengeance. She would always have time to spend with Samanya later. 'Let's order breakfast? ' she spoke into his mind, effectively breaking his train of thoughts.

"Oh, don't worry. I just gave the order. Toast, eggs, and, coffee. Is that fine?"

'Absolutely. Thank you. ' she smiled a little before becoming serious again.

'Samanya...so first of all, we...'

"Bhairavi, I remember. We went over and over it last night till I could say it word for word in my sleep. And don't even talk about sleeping, because of you I am aching everywhere. How do I act like a traitor if I can't even roll my neck without wincing?"

Bhairavi smiled at that. A woman came to serve their breakfast, preventing further conversation. After breakfast, they locked their room and left. Bhairavi thought, It's show time.

The Swift Dezire from yesterday was there to pick them up and while he gave the driver directions, he tied her hands in a simple yet effective knot which would be impossible to tear but could be easily sliced through if the need arose. Bhairavi was chewing the gum all along and she stuck it on her wrist, inside the sleeve of her shirt and pressed the blade to it. It would easily hold and could be used for emergencies.

"Bhairavi.."

'Yes, Samanya?'

"You know what you are doing, right?"

'Do you trust me?'

Samanya instantly answered, "Yes. But, it's them I don't trust."

Bhairavi smiled, 'Then don't worry. And, lets not talk anymore. Get into the mood of a traitor. I need to act drugged too. You have the half empty sleeping med strip in your pocket?'
Samanya nodded.
'Then let's do it.'

The car drew up in front of a huge mansion on the edge of a lush forest. Samanya got out and pulled a dazed Bhairavi from the car before she half fell on him. Steadying her, he carried half her weight while she leaned heavily into him and they stepped into the house.

The house was tastefully decorated, classic European architecture with Indian touches. As they walked in, with half shut eyes, Bhairavi checked out the Rakshasas lining the corridors. All of them were staring, some with anger, some with amusement, some with disbelief.