Chapter Twenty Four

Okay, let's do it, Bhairavi told herself as she walked up to her beloved cafe 'Fudge you' just as the clock struck twelve. Stepping aside to hide in the shadow of the neighboring Italian restaurant, Bhairavi cracked her knuckles nervously.

"Don't worry mistress, you will do just fine," a feline, young voice assured her. She could not explain further how her voice sounded because there were no human adjectives to define it better, but it sounded natural coming from Summer, who had refused to call her by her name.

Nodding at the reassurance she put a finger to her lips and Summer obeyed. 'Samanya, I am going in. You stay close to the store room window, and remain alert. If Bhay does not release Namma, which I doubt he will, I shall reach out to your mind and signal. Then, you rescue her and take her home.' Samanya nodded and squeezed her hand comfortingly before taking off.

'Okay Summer, it's you and me now. Peek and tell me what do you see.'

"Well, mistress, I see...." Bhairavi waited. "...nothing."
'What!?' she asked in disbelief.
"Yes mistress, the cafe is unguarded and dark. It can be a trap." Bhairavi smiled at her adorable pet's innocence in pointing out the obvious before becoming serious. 'Yes, you are right. Then let's walk right into it. I'll go first. You stay back near the door and wait for my word.'

Hearing no reply she probed into Summer's mind and found her day-dreaming of Cinnamon milk and fish cutlet. 'Summer!' Bhairavi's sharp rebuke pierced through her craving daze, "Yes mistress?"

'Focus! Now come on.' Bhairavi strapped a sword on Summer's back, as a precaution before they walked to the cafe. Summer hid near the gate and Bhairavi took a deep breath before entering.

It's funny how humans can sense and taste fear, Bhairavi thought as she felt her nape prickle and her skin crawl. Her mouth filled with the metallic taste of fear as she saw Namma lie motionless in the middle of the cafe. The cafe was dark and she could barely see the outline of Namma's body, but the dim light from the street lights confirmed it was her. Bhairavi made no move towards her.

Instead she ducked and rolled to her right as a blade slashed at where her shoulders were a moment ago. She kicked out her left foot before standing in a fighting stance and mentally reached out for the light switches, and turned them on. The room filled with bright light and cruel laughter. Bhairavi felt terrified at the sight in front of her.

A man stood in front of her, aweful and terrible at the same time. His eyes were a smooth, unflinching black and glittered with malice. His features, inhuman and hypnotizing, held no softness and his complexion was marble-white. He emitted fear and aversion of such intensity that Bhairavi's entire being seemed to quiver and scream. Never before had she been so grateful of being without voice for she knew she could never speak in front of him.

She felt sorely underprepared but tried to not show it. Bhay watched her, amused, he loved to see how he invoked fear in people. But his glee abated when he realized she did not display any of it. 'I have come. Release her. Now.' Most people begin with begging to be spared, here a Manavi was making demands, Bhay was livid yet intrigued by her, "Tell me, Bhairavi."

She shivered on hearing his voice in real life. "What do you see? Most people, even Gods see what they fear the most. What do I appear to you?"
This infused some strength in her, instead of answering, she asked, 'How did you find me?' Bhay smirked, "I'll answer that if you will."

'How do I know you will keep your end and answer?'

"You don't. I could have killed your grandma by now. Take that as a sign of honor and proceed."

Bhairavi answered with narrowed eyes, not buying his excuse but going along, 'I see you for you. Not as any illusion of fear.'

Bhay smiled at that, although internally his rage was building, "Ah, interesting. Now, my turn. It was very easy. You see, I was right next to Bahurupi when my grandson called. After he lied at my insistence and ended the call, I killed him and took his phone. Modern technology is truly amazing as it took me only a minute to locate that the call came from a cafe named 'Fudge you' and the rest was googled and found by another very capable, young Rakshasa."