Chapter Twelve

Coming down the stairs, Bhairavi almost collided with a frantic Samanya, "Where were you!? I was looking for you everywhere. I was worried something happened to you."

Though his eyes showed concern, his expression slowly schooled itself into an impassive one.

'I don't like crowds. Had thought of spending time in some less crowded corner. Saw you dancing with some new friends, so I took off on my own,' Bhairavi spoke mentally, not breaking eye contact.

His jaw tightened, "Oh, so you decided to leave me and have fun on your own? Do you know I have never..." he lowered his voice after taking a quick look around, "Do you remember I have never danced with humans or gone to their engagement parties, or did that slip your mind? You bring me as your plus one, and then desert me?"

'I didn't want to disturb you, while you were having fun. And...I needed to think. You were not letting me apologize and...' Realising that she was worsening the situation, she did the only thing which felt rational in that moment, she hugged him. 'I am sorry Samanya. Please let me speak,' she said when she felt he was opening his mouth to argue.

'I was nervous and excited about the party and you were constantly assuming that Mayuri and Rakesh won't last...I just lost my temper. I don't even know why, they aren't even my best friends anymore. But how could I let you think that my generation was bad at maintaining relationships. That is like blaming an entire sack of potatoes for a few rotten ones.'

"Potatoes?"

She could hear the mirth in his voice and broke away from the hug, scowling, 'Be serious. That's all you noticed from the entire apology?'

"Still, potatoes?"

And they both started laughing at that. After their laughter abated, Bhairavi spoke, 'Forgive me? I should not have said such mean and hurtful things about your family. I truly am sorry.'

"I forgive you. Either way, it is really really hard to stay mad at you. I had to do my very best to not thaw at your first attempt to apologize."

Bhairavi shoved him and he laughed before holding her hand. She blushed a little at the gesture.

"Have you eaten anything? I, for one, am starving."

'Does a piece of kebab and a couple of glasses of wine count?'

Samanya glowered at her, without speaking.

'Then let's go and eat,' Bhairavi suggested, grinning at him.

They left after dinner, turning down the loud protests of Mayuri and Rakesh for leaving so early, the party was just warming up they complained.

"Bhairavi, I must thank you for coming, it meant a lot to us. I just want to say one thing. If possible, do have tea with me in college? I miss my tea buddy." At Bhairavi's nod, Mayuri's smile brightened before becoming a tad sly.

"By the way, who is the cutie with you? You have to give me all the details over tea in college, okay?" she whispered, while Samanya was talking to Rakesh. But Bhairavi was sure he had heard it, Rakshasa senses were superior to human ones. Bhairavi nodded at that quickly, embarrassed, before bidding them goodbye.

Bhairavi and Samanya reached her home by ten, and Namma was happy to see them on time. She insisted on inviting Samanya in, "No, I won't hear a single word. I know you live alone, that too in the next lane itself. Why the hurry? Have a cup of cocoa-nut coffee? Bhairavi told me you like it too."

Bhairavi stared at Namma's blatant lie, she had never told her...oh, she must have checked what they ordered on the day they met in her cafe, Namma and her detective skills! Bhairavi shook her head, not knowing whether to be amused or concerned.