Glossary

A/N

Hey my lovelies,
First of all, I would like to thank each and every one of you for your precious votes and reads and comments. I can't believe this book crossed 1k reads (swoons and faints). I felt that since all of you might not be into Indian Mythology and understand Indian terminology, why not make life easier for you and make a glossary (squeals in joy after four hours of hardwork). Here, you will find meanings to Indian terms and Divine Beings. If you feel I missed out something, or maybe a term you didn't understand while reading do comment it below. I'll add it to the list with its meaning. Hope this clears up all doubt.

Love,
Kaushiki.

Abhaya: One who has defeated fear; fearless.

Abhaya mudra: The Abhayamudrā "gesture of fearlessness" is a mudrā (gesture) that is the gesture of reassurance and safety, which dispels fear and accords divine protection and bliss

Adityas: In Hinduism, Ādityas meaning "of Aditi", refer to the offsprings of the goddess Aditi and her husband the sage Kashyapa. They are the eight devas or Gods of different elements of nature, according to the Rig Veda.

Adharma: Adharma is the Sanskrit antonym of dharma. It means "that which is not in accord with the dharma". It means immoral, sinful, wrong, wicked, unjust, unbalanced, or unnatural. In the Vishnu Purana, Dharma and Adharma are mythical beings with their respective progenies.

Adi Parishakti: Adi Parashakti is considered the Supreme Being in the Shaktism sect of Hinduism. The Devi-Bhagavata Purana states that Adi Parashakti is the original creator, observer and destroyer of the universe.

Aloo sabzi: A spicy gravy concoction of potatos.

Ambika: The name Ambika is a derivative name from Durga Ma. One meaning of it is the Goddess of the Moon or the Warrior Goddess. In Sanskrit word ambikā is "mother". It is the name of the mother of our protagonist Bhairavi.

Amravati: Paradise; Kingdom of Indra.

Amrit: nectar of immortality.

Apsara: In Indian mythology, apsaras are beautiful, supernatural female beings, who are adept in music, in the art of dancing and seduction. They grace the court of Indra, the King of the Devas and the lord of Thunder.

Ayushmann Bhava: A blessing for long life and good health.

Baccha: my child.

Bahurupi: He who has 'bahu' or many 'rups' or appearances.

Bhairavi: represents divine wrath; fearful and formidable.

Bhay: Fear; the Primordial chaotic God of Fear.

Bindi: A decorative dot worn in the midst of the forehead- an accessory.

Brahma: The Creator of the universe, one of the main Tridevas. He has created every creature, element, race, every bit of knowledge and is the Consort of Saraswati, the Goddess of knowledge and music.

Chang: A fermented alcoholic beverage, famous in Sikkim, Nepal, and Tibet.

Daityas: They were the children of goddess Diti and the sage Kashyapa. The Devas were their half-brothers with whom they fought against as a result of their jealousy. The Manusmṛti classifies the Daityas as good, while placing them at a lower level than the Devas.

Danavas: (Feminine: Danavis) They were the children of goddess Danu and the sage Kashyapa, and their descendants.

Dal bati churma: Dal baati is an Indian dish of dal (lentils) and baati (hard wheat rolls), garnished with churma (made of crumbled chapattis dipped in ghee and jaggery).