Chapter Eleven

Next morning Bhairavi woke up at ten and went down to get breakfast. Namma had already left for the cafe but she had cooked breakfast for her and left a note. Opening the lid, she peeked inside and jumped out of joy.

Namma had made luchi and aloo sabzi for her. Stuffing her mouth with the puffy, round, luchis fried in ghee, she moaned internally before scooping some of the tangy aloo sabzi. She had not had luchi in months!

After finishing off four of them, she licked her fingers with relish  before her eyes fell on the note. It read:
'I hope you liked the breakfast I made you and did not waste even a bit. Take a long shower and get ready, do all the beauty things you kids do nowadays, like moisturizer and all. I will come back early, around five, to do your hair and help you wear the lehenga. Be ready by then. Love you, baccha.'

Smiling widely, Bhairavi kept the note on the table and went to take a long shower. After all the hard work, shaving and moisturizing were completed, along with conditioning her hair, she got out and fed Summer.

Poor Summer, she was staring at Bhairavi with wide eyes, wondering what on earth was she doing, bending in ridiculous poses to get rid of body hair. Summer liked her hair just the way it was, thick and golden.

Bhairavi made herself a sandwich for lunch before going back to do her makeup. She had opted for a natural, dewy look, to go with the peach lehenga.

Time passed quickly and by the time the clock tolled five, Bhairavi's makeup was done. Within five minutes she heard the door open and Namma's voice. She is never late, Bhairavi thought fondly.

Namma came to her room and said, "Makeup done? Wow, you look radiant! Very pretty. Come on, quick, let's get your hair done. It won't take long."

Since her hair was already very short, it didn't take long to make it wavy. After that, Namma helped her get into the lehenga and pulled the zip.

Bhairavi turned around to face her and Namma gazed at her with pride and admiration, "You look so beautiful, my God. I can't believe you have become all grown up. You were such a cute child just the other day."

Seeing tears sparkle in her eyes, Bhairavi signed, 'Still am your baby," and hugged her.

"Careful, don't ruin your makeup. Thankfully your hair is nicely done. I can go and relax on the sofa now. My back is killing me."

Looking closely at Namma, Bhairavi saw what normally was not visible, exhaustion and age lines. Namma was always so energetic, it was hard to remember that the lady was sixty two. Regret and guilt bubbled in her stomach as she signed, 'Sorry, making you work so hard. Am a bad girl.'

Namma shook her head and held her hands, "You are the reason I wake up everyday and work and live. I left your grandfather when your Maa was two. I lost her and your Baba even, who was like my own son. You are my granddaughter, and I can't afford to lose you." Bhairavi's eyes filled with tears in spite of herself and she tried to blink them away.

"My baccha, it was so hard, so gut wrenching to see you broken over your parents death. But now, I see you smile, I see you make friends again. It doesn't matter if you don't want to speak again, it doesn't make you any less of my beloved Bhairavi." Tears rolled down Bhairavi's cheeks as she looked into Namma's loving eyes.

How she wished to tell Namma that she did speak now, but mentally. She was thinking of speaking when the bell rang.

Namma seemed to snap out of her emotional reverie, "Oh it must be your friend. I am always so emotional, damn it. And I made you cry and ruin your makeup, too. Quickly, repair your face while I ask him to step in." Bhairavi laughed at that. Trust Namma to make one laugh while crying, repair her face indeed!