XXVII

"So, what exactly was the profile last time?" I raised my brow curiously, watching as Reid gave the road in front of us a quick scan.

"The profile," he paused to switch on his turn signal and move slightly forward, "was that of a vigilante." He turned onto the main road, picking up speed before he glanced at his rearview mirror and switched lanes. Once he was where he wanted to be he let out a small sigh and glanced over at me. "While the murder itself was chaotic and inexperienced, we classified Regan as someone who was organized due to her advanced planning and pride over her kill."

"Right," I nodded.

"Regan took the time to make her victims suffer for their crimes," Reid added, "which is a common in trait in those who believe in punishment killings."

"She also recruited her friend to help," I replied, "so she could easily manipulate others."

"I wouldn't necessarily say manipulate," Reid argued.

"No?"

He shook his head. "Audrey Wilkinson, while definitely vulnerable came to Regan for help, remember?"

I narrowed my eyes, trying to remember the details. As much as I hated to admit it, I was definitely a little rusty. "So, Regan is relatable?" I responded questionably.

"What do you mean?"

I pressed my lips together, taking a quick moment to think as I watched Reid switch lanes again and turn right. "Think about it," I tapped my chin, hoping somehow it'd help me concentrate as I furrowed my brow. "Like Cecilia, she had a pretty big online following. After the press got ahold of the story the whole thing blew up pretty quickly." I remembered not long after we made the arrest there was a lot of talk going on about interviewing the girls. Female serial killers were already a hot commodity for publicity, so the fact that there were two working together and they were high school students was enough to get the ball rolling.

Reid nodded his head in agreement, moving into the driveway before shutting off the car. "The unsub probably watched one of her interviews."

"And resonated with it," I added.

I left Reid to get my stuff. Eagerly, I grabbed my go bag from the back of my closet and started shoving my old work clothes inside. Nowadays, I didn't dress as nice, so most of the stuff I grabbed hadn't been worn for months. Along with that, I gabbed my toiletry bag, giving it quick look over to make sure everything was there. When it was, I packed it too.

As I left I grabbed my old work shoes and tucked them into the crook of my elbow as I pulled out my phone to check the time. We still had lots, which made me thankful, because the last thing I wanted to do was keep Hotch waiting.

At the back of my mind I couldn't help, but wonder if maybe this was a chance to prove myself again. While I wasn't entirely sure what the protocol was for returning agents, part of me wondered that if this went well then maybe there was a possibility of getting reinstated. Deep down I knew it was probably just a shot in the dark, but that didn't stop my brain's curiosity. Hotch did say I was good at my job and while it was obvious that Strauss hated my guts it was obvious that not even she could disagree with me.

I ran up the stairs, smiling at the thought of Strauss admitting my worth to Hotch.

"Where are you going?"

I stopped in my tracks, looking over at Luke who was standing in the kitchen shirtless. Beside him was a small redhead in pajamas, giving me a curious glance as she poured herself a cup of apple juice. My eyes darted between the two of them, narrowing slightly once I saw Luke let out a small chuckle and stare at the ground. Once my brain clicked, I opened my mouth, giving him a nod of approval before pointing at him. "I'm off to Jacksonville for a case, but you and I are gonna talk when I get back, alright?"