XXXI

After getting off the phone with Issac I grabbed my room key and left the hotel. I hadn't eaten all day and as tempting as it was to just get room service, I figured a nice walk around the city might clear my head.

As I walked, I searched up a couple of local places on my phone, scanning through the various reviews as I dashed across the parking lot and onto the sidewalk. While looking through, I found a decent number of places that caught my eye, licking my lips at the thought of trying any of them. In the end, despite a fair amount of debate, I settled on Justin's, which was a small cafe on Ashley St about a mile away.

I pocketed my phone with a sigh and began my journey. It'd been a while since I'd taken a walk, which was strange because I used to walk everywhere. Living so close to work was pretty beneficial and while I missed the simplicity of it I was still thankful for the living situation I was in now. Luke was a great roommate and dealt with a lot of my shit. From the second I met him I knew he was a decent guy, but after spending the amount of time I did with him, I soon realized he was borderline perfect. On top of being one of the most hard working people I ever met, he was also very open. Often times when we'd hang out together we'd end our nights talking about life and what it had to offer. 

The more I thought about him the more curious I got about the whole ex girlfriend situation he was caught up in. Instead of wondering further though, I narrowed my eyes and grabbed my phone to call him.

"Hey, what's up?" His chipper voice rang through my ears, causing me to smile.

"Hey, nothing much. Just, uh, getting some food. What's up with you?"

"Taking a break. I stayed up all night working out some kinks for a deadline I got this week." He let out a long yawn. "How's the case going?"

"Well, uh, everyone sort of found out about the kid I'm currently housing." I chuckled.

"Yikes."

"Yeah. Hotch was pretty pissed so right now I'm kind of steering clear of the team for a while."

"Spencer is too?" He questioned.

"Nah. Team needs him whether they like it or not right now, so he's probably at the station studying away like a madman." I brushed back a piece of loose hair behind my ear, turning my attention to the road, which was filled to the brim with cars.

"Have you solved the puzzle, yet?"

"Sort of." I shrugged. "We got a confession from a witness, but the guy's currently missing." I let out a heavy sigh and slowed my pace as I arrived at a crosswalk. Before moving further I looked both ways, scanning the heavy traffic, which ultimately stopped for me to cross. I raised my hand at the front row of cars, giving them a little head nod as I jogged to the other side of the side, immediately slowly my pace once I was off the road again.

"Does that happen a lot?" Luke asked curiously.

"What? Unsubs disappearing?" I raised my brow.

"Yeah."

"I mean, sometimes. Most of the time it takes a bit of time to catch them, but if we're careful enough they typically stay pretty stagnant."

"Hm, interesting." Luke was always curious about our cases, which was fine with me, because I loved talking about them. I could spend hours listing off various facts and statistics about human behaviour and what we did to manipulate it.

"How's Andy?" I bit my lip to hold back a smirk as I rounded the corner of the street and directed my body away from a group of kids who were speeding down the sidewalk. As they passed, they laughed hysterically, rushing through the crowds of people who were out and about despite how late it was.