[Roommates] Smokescreen x Knockout TFP

CrazyLinx68 here you go! I'm so sorry it took so long!

(Smokescreen x Knockout)

975 words.

~~~~

"Roommates?"

"It's just for the time being until we can get a room set up for Knockout."

Both Smokescreen and Knockout cringed. The cherry red medic was sure he caught a glare from the blue mech beside him out of the corner of his optics.

"You can't be serious!" Smokescreen huffed, turning his attention back to Optimus, crossing his arms over his chassis and tapping his pede on the ground. Though, when he was shot a disapproving look from the Prime, he winced.

Knockout kept his mouth shut, in the fear that he would just get into trouble. He knew this wasn't the Nemesis, and Optimus wasn't as harsh as Megatron, but he just couldn't break that old habit. Usually, he was quite outspoken. But when he was around someone as powerful as Megatron or Optimus, it just felt wrong to voice his opinion. Maybe he was afraid he'd get hurt. He didn't really know his reasoning.

"Com'on. Stop fussin', rookie. It'll only be for about a week." Bulkhead interjected from across the room.

Smokescreen flipped his gaze to the former wrecker, scowling. "If you don't have a problem with it, you can bunk with him."

"You drew the shortest stick. He bunking with you." Arcee shrugged her shoulders at Smokescreen, but she shot Bulkhead a wink and a grin.

Bumblebee whirred softly in laughter.

"It's not funny." Smokescreen huffed.

For once, Knockout had to agree with him. Why couldn't he bunk with someone more... reasonable? Like Arcee. As much as she was annoying, at least she wasn't an afthole, and tried to show the slightest bit of hospitality. They had to have known he didn't like femmes by now, right? It was absurdly obvious.

Knockout glanced around the room, fiddling his his thumbs. He felt nervous. He stayed silent for a moment, watching as all of them bickered before the attention was put right back on him when Optimus asked him a question.

"Are you alright with staying with Smokescreen?"

Knockout paused, staring at the Prime. Was he fine with it? Sure he was fine with it. Though his words seemed to be caught in his throat, so he just nodded—hoping that would suffice as an answer. He didn't mean to cause this much distress.

"Then it's settled. Knockouts staying with Smokescreen." Ratchet huffed in the background, "end of story."

Smokescreen scoffed at that, his arms still crossed defensively over his chassis. "He—"

The blue mech was cut off by a glare from the Autobot medic, a scowl deep in his features. He grumbled a couple of things under his breath—Knockout caught a curse. "Now shoo. All of you. I have work." Ratchet glared at every single one of them, even Optimus a little bit.

Smokescreen just huffed again, turning on his heel and heading out of the room.

Knockout assumed he was supposed to follow, so he started after the mech, giving a curt and polite wave to the others as he left the main room. He could be friendly when he wanted to. Though, he'd rather stick to sassy and sarcastic.

"Why're you following me?" Smokescreen grumbled, stopping in front of a door. He unlocked it before turning his attention to Knockout.

"I—I though, Uhm—" Knockout watched as Smokescreen smirked, making him huff softly.

"Just don't get in my way."

"Never." Knockout responded bluntly, his fuse starting to get cut short.

Smokescreen rolled his optics, scoffing as he opened the door, stepping inside. He gave a curt wave for Knockout to follow, which the medic did.

"Why do you hate me so much, anyways?" The cherry red mech attempted to start up a conversation as he shut the door.

Smokescreen just scoffed again, not responding for a few moments. Then he shrugged his shoulders, "you're a medic. You're supposed to be better than them." He said, flicking his gaze to Knockout.

It took a moment for said medic to comprehend what Smokescreen had just stated. "I didn't choose to become a 'Con, you know." He huffed when the other gave him a curious look. "I was forced to. Big M said he'd destroy the hospital if a medic didn't join his side. I was stepped up to the plate because no one else deserved to be hurt." He shrugged, flicking his gaze away to stare at something else in the room. "But, he ended up destroying it anyways. I guess it was for nothing."

"Why didn't you leave then?"

"Breakdown." Knockout cleared his throat right after so Smokescreen didn't hear the crack in his voice. "I'd started up a... relationship with Breakdown in that time. He had ties, too, didn't want to leave. I stayed."

"And now..."

"He's dead."

"And you decided you'd leave."

"Yeah." Knockout mumbled, nodding his helm slowly. He felt awkward again, just standing in the middle of the room with his arms crossed over his chassis, staring at a random trinket from across the room.

Smokescreen seemed to get that. "You can sit if you want. I don't care where."

Knockout obliged after a moment of hesitation, sitting down on the spare berth in the berthroom, that he assumed had been set up for himself. There was a moment of awkward silence before Smokescreen decided to break it.

"I'm sorry." The rookie said, turning to Knockout and away from whatever he'd been fidgeting with.

"For what?"

"I shouldn't have assumed..."

"It's fine." Knockout shrugged, "a lot of bots do. I don't really care."

Smokescreen have a slight look, falling silent again.

"Wanna go out for a drive later?"

Knockout looked up, a surprised expression on his face.

"We don't have to, if you don't want—"

"No, no—I'd like that..."

Smokescreen smiled.

Maybe this wouldn't be as bad as he thought.