[Ashes] Optimus x Megatron TFP

I saw a prompt—

I wrote this in like 30 minutes and it's unedited so sorry if it sucks, doesn't make sense, or there's mistakes.

(Optimus x Megatron)

Angst.

587 words.

~~~~

"I'm standing in the ashes of who I used to be..."

Optimus almost choked.

"And so are you."

Megatron looked at him with dreary optics. The usual bright red was dimmed and dull. Though, the larger mech almost looked... relaxed; happy even.

"Though, you're better than me. You've always been better than me. When you were Orion, and now, when you are Optimus Prime."

The silver mech let out a long laugh. It was breathy, and Optimus caught a hint of malice.

Megatron made no move to attack.

"I cannot say I hate you, as much as I wish I could."

Optimus knew the mech could say it. He could physically say it. But he wouldn't. Because he didn't. He never truly did hate the Prime.

"I hate myself more than I could ever hate you."

It felt like someone had stabbed him when Megatron had said that.

"You know that, don't you?"

It wasn't a question. So, Optimus didn't answer.

"You always have."

Megatron held out a clawed servo, and Optimus immediately reached out to latch onto the mech, afraid he would just dissolve and disappear.

The warlord smiled at that.

"Haven't you?"

That was a question. But Optimus couldn't bring himself to answer, even though he knew he should've.

"Even though you stole the only mech I ever loved away from me, I have never hated you. I should. I should hate you with a burning passion. I should hate you with everything I have..."

There was a long pause, and suddenly, Optimus understood.

He understood why in every battle Megatron seemed to be going soft on him.

He understood why the mech was torn between hating and loving him.

He understood everything.

"But I don't."

Megatron sounded worn out. Tired. Defeated.

Optimus felt choked up. He couldn't bring himself to speak.

"Look at me."

Optimus obeyed. He hadn't even realized he hadn't been looking at the mech; instead staring at the ground like it was the most interesting thing.

Megatron brought up a servo to stoke the Prime's cheek, to which, surprisingly, Optimus didn't flinch or pull away from.

The red and blue mech leaned into the touch, the rough hands bringing back a thought to be long forgotten ache for affection.

"You're beautiful..."

Megatron whispered, looking even more tired now.

"I know..."

Optimus finally got his mouth to move, only to make a joke.

Megatron laughed.

That almost made Optimus cry. It had been so long since he heard that sound he almost forgot what it sounded like.

He forgot how Megatron's chassis vibrated, shaking everything he was touching. He forgot how it sounded rich and deep, and so real.

So very real.

"You never missed a beat to tell me."

Optimus paused.

"To tell Orion."

Megatron sighed, swallowing down the lump in his throat as his laughed faded away.

Optimus wished it hadn't. What he'd give to hear that laugh for hours.

"Come?"

Optimus knew Megatron wasn't asking for him to follow him. He knew what he meant. What he always meant.

The Prime leaned into the larger mech, shivering slightly when a large clawed servo wrapped around his waist.

Optimus relaxed when Megatron started singing, letting the tears spill from his optics.

And then everything was fading away.

Everything went black.

Everything became cold.

Eventually, Megatron's voice went with it.

And then, Optimus woke up. He was alone. Alone and cold, though a new spark of warmth erupted through his chassis.

There was hope, yet. Dim, but there.

There was hope.

Hope that they could love again; even though they were standing in the ashes of they used to be.