32. Birth

5.25.20

Guess what time it is?

Alex's POV (2 months later)

I curled in on myself with my fingers placed on my stomach. My children would be coming any day now, but I didn't know how to handle both of them. When I checked the clock, I saw that it was 6pm, so I stood up to go down to dinner. I waddled down the corridor slowly, but I only got about half way before this strange pain occured between my hips. Now, I'm no rookie on random baby pains, but that one was just sort of... Different? Whatever, I need food.

Once I was seated, I felt the pain come back just a little bit stronger. My eyebrows furrowed, but I still chose to ignore it. They're probably just moving around in there. I shoveled food into my mouth like a pig, but the people here were used to the behavior by now. I don't know why, but I do need both normal amounts of human food and blood to feel normal.

I gasped at the pain when it reoccurred, and my noise drew some attention from the others. "I'm fine," I reassured, but I was still uncertain myself.

"Alex... No you aren't."

I looked at Bailey questioningly, and she pointed to a little puddle underneath my chair. At the same time, the pain returned, and I changed my answer to a, "Actually, I might not be fine." Hell broke loose a little bit, and finally I was assisted down the hallway by one of the pack doctors. The woman pulled me into a room before laying me down on the makeshift hospital bed.

An IV was put into my arm, and I heard a quiet apology before a tube like thing was slid up my penis. "I'm going to need you to refrain from pushing, alright?"

I mumbled a quiet agreement, but I found it hard when another wave of pain rolled over me. Suddenly, I lost all feeling in my lower back, and I looked up at the doctor nervously. "Don't worry, it's just a numbing agent so that you don't feel the surgery. Take a few deep breaths for me, okay?"

I focused on my breaths in and out, and I hardly noticed when the doctor cut into my abdomen. Even though I was numb, I was still expecting it to hurt, but it surprisingly didn't.

"Keep breathing." Another few doctors came in, and I watched the doctor pull my first baby out. The little bundle was whisked out of the room, and the second child came into the world seconds later. Soon after they were taken, I was reintroduced to my little babies. "Congratulations, they're both boys."

I was handed the first little bundle, and I whispered, "Daniel. His name is Daniel Xavier Quinn." The little boy smiled up at me, and I couldn't help but smile back down at him. He had my eyes, and his little fingers were curled around my much larger one. He was taken out of my grip, and I was handed my other child. He was much smaller than his brother, but he was still happy. "Devon Jackson Quinn." I felt like the little tribute to Ash's father would be appreciated. However, when I looked at the two of them, I felt so insignificant. I can't take care of two children! "I can't handle them both. Not by myself."

"It's too dangerous not to, Alex. I would tell you to send one to live with the humans, but what about when he shifts?"

"There has to be some charm I can use!"

"You should really think this through. He's your own flesh and blood; the life as a parentless child is not easy. I'd imagine if he were to see you after you give him away, he would hate your guts."

"I just can't, not without Ash. I need to bring Devon somewhere, can you watch Daniel?"

"Sure, but don't say I didn't warn you."

I carried my child back towards my home while praying that he wouldn't grow up to hate me. It's probably not healthy for me to have left right after my procedure, but I couldn't let Devon get too attached to me. That and I'm a werewolf, so I get fast healing. When I reached the outskirts of Newfolk, I remembered a charm I had learned in my education. Magic that wouldn't let his supernatural side shine until I spoke to him again. I quickly uttered the words before walking towards the orphanage. I hope that this will be a nice place for him to grow up.

The door dinged above my head, and the receptionist looked up. "I found this baby freezing on the streets," I lied. "I figured that this was the best place to bring him."

"Do you know what his name is?"

"Yes, there was a card next to the child. Devon Jackson Quinn."

"Alright, sir. Thank you for bringing him here."

I handed the man my baby before leaving the orphanage. Please be a good home! I ran off into the woods and made the half day long trip back to the place I had called home for 3 conscience month. When I arrived, my other child was pressed into my arms almost immediately. "Thank God you're back, he won't stop crying!"

As soon as the little child reached my skin, his heart wrenching cries ceased. I cooed softly at the little boy while rocking back and forth slightly, and little Dan began giggling. I thought back to my dream, and it made sense. I was only supposed to have one. "Alex, did you actually?" Bailey's eyes were downcast, and I wondered why.

"I didn't have a choice."

"At the same time, you did. You had a choice, Alex, and you gave up your own flesh and blood. What is wrong with you?"

"I couldn't do it by myself!"

"But you had us. You weren't by yourself, you had a pack behind you. We've been waiting for this day since you got here, and now your own child is all alone in the human world. Get out."

"What?"

"You though you were by yourself, and now you will be. Get out of my pack house."

"You can't just drop me like this!"

"You shouldn't have dropped your own child like that."

"That was my own choice."

"Well it's my choice to kick you out. Go!"

I stormed out of the pack's land, and I found myself alone on the Harsin Coven's land. I'm kind of shocked that I haven't been attacked yet, so I just walked through the forest. I noticed the fowl smell, and my curiosity spiked until I was sprinting through the woods. I was met with the rubble of the Harsin Coven mansion, and I was shocked. Ash was in there... Is he dead? My bond says no, but I wasn't able to tell. I walked over the rubble with a tight grip on Daniel until I reached the scorched front steps. I guess I just sleep here until I either die or someone finds me?

"Alex?"

Cross over baby!