The Forest of Death (2)

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Not even ten minutes of walking in the forest, did we hear the penetrating screams of a competing trio. The bone-chilling shrill stopped us in our tracks. To think that some group may have already received their opposing scroll, was an amusing thought. I secretly hoped it was one of the rookies. Thinking with that mindset gives me the strength to believe that we, too, could easily snag our next scroll.

Beside me, Sakura shuffled closer, so our shoulders were somewhat touching. I'm assuming she did this for comfort; to feel some familiarity in the daunting atmosphere. "Huh," Her words came out breathy and shaking. "That was someone's scream, just know, right?" The fear in her voice was evident, but I could also perceive it through her shaking legs.

I held her hand in hopes to settle her racked nerves, which she thankfully allowed. She whispered in my ear, "To be honest, I-I'm getting kind of nervous."

While this behavior was to be anticipated in such an environment, nevertheless, I still felt distressed that any of my teammates should respond the way they are. In my opinion, I consider my feeling towards this to be unresponsive. But that might just be because I have the confidence that our team is far more than what the others believe it worth. It's like they completely forgot that they fought a high-ranking enemy Ninja, his partner, and saved an entire village from poverty!

That being said, if they continue to feel incompetent, I will strive to make them realize their value. 'That's my goal in this arena,' I considered. 'To keep my team level-headed. Just like what Kakashi-sensei said back at the Land of Waves.'

Sasuke, who stood somewhat close to me and Sakura was eerily quiet and downcast with the situation. But I could tell, he was apprehensive, too. Calming his nerves would take more than just a mere comforting touch, even if I did associate such a thing, he would be very much against it. Quickly, I knew I must think of a way to direct their attention elsewhere.

"I-It was nothing, believe it!" Naruto responded shakily, his hands resting behind his head in a laid-back manner. Even so, his eyes anxiously averted in all directions for a search of a threat. With this close examining, I remembered the lingering cut on his cheek from Ms. Anko. Using this to my advantage could advert everyone's tenseness.

Releasing Sakura's hand, I walked up to Naruto and held his cheek. Although he looked surprised at first, he immediately fell into a giddy grin, leaning his head into my palm. I had to stop myself from chuckling; he just looked too much like an adorable cat!

I gently rubbed my thumb over his slightly mended wound. "Naruto, that scar looks painful... are you alright?" I asked gently. "Does it sting? Because I might have something to help it." I didn't know for sure if I did actually, but the words slipped through before I could even comprehend, and I found myself blushing at the insignificant mistake. Or maybe it was because of the adoring look in Naruto's eyes, that made me flush a deep hue, caused my stomach to drop, and my heart to pound. It was the same feeling when Naruto gazed at me from the trees in the Land of Waves. It was unfamiliar after that, though. I had no idea what these feelings were and how they appear at the smallest things he does.