Chapter 37

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

 It just turned dark when team 10 arrived back home from their mission. For specific side-tracking reasons, the group, unfortunately, made it back at an ungodly hour where drunks had hit their nightly peak. At this point, everyone was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to go to sleep. So when Shikamaru grudgingly asked if Y/n wanted to come over for dinner, she was quick to resign.

"I'll just get a to-go from Ichiraku's Ramen," She stated. As grateful as Y/n was for the support of the Nara family, she also felt a little burdensome. Also, ever since her emotional episodes, she's been craving some unhealthy comfort foods. The boy gave a hesitant, almost annoyed look before shrugging and heading towards his estate. The girl said her goodbyes before going her own way, too.

Y/n was tired, but her stomach spoke louder. She used the last of her energy to speedwalk to the ramen stand, purposely avoiding the drunk passed-out Jonin on the street. 'As gross as it is, their situation is quite understandable,' Y/n contemplated as she strayed away from the loud bars. 'Every day they work, not knowing if they'll survive or not. Might as well live life to the fullest.'

She reached the Ramen place just in time before closing. They seemed surprised yet happy to see her. After all, it's been a while since she's eaten there with Naruto. The girl missed the savory taste that only Ichiraku's supplied.

While walking back, the girl decided to take a different, more quiet path. Although it was darker and definitely more creepy, Y/n found a certain comfort from being away from the loud, rowdy older groups. However, what she didn't expect was spotting a shadowy yet familiar, slouched figure. Y/n didn't have time to respond as the cloaked shape turned around and revealed its battered face.

"Ah," It spoke. The voice carried a recognizable huskiness that made the girl grimace. "If it isn't the girl from the forest- Y/n, was it?" It was hard to discern with how dark it was, but Y/n acknowledged that this shadowed person was none other than Dosu, one of Orochimaru's lackeys. She could feel her shoulders tense, and she gripped the bag of food in her hands with such vigor her knuckles turned white. The girl had no weapons on her, and she was drained; There was no way she would be able to fight against him. But, much to her astonishment, he only turned back around and stated, "...I've been thinking about what you said to me earlier about leaving and going into hiding."

Y/n's mouth visibly gaped. She forgot all about what she told him, but now that she's thinking about it, that idea would probably be the best for him. 'So there is a part of him that's good,' Y/n hung her head in lamenting. 'And he was forced into this. How wicked.'

Dosu continued, his voice echoed as if the words themselves were empty, "...I'll have to recline. Even if I did quit, there's nothing left waiting for me. Everyone in my life is gone. Indeed I know Orochimaru will just throw me out after completing his mission, but at least I have one thing to work towards." His statement made Y/n shiver. The way he said it sounded depressed and lonely, as if death was his only option.

Y/n couldn't find the words to say. She was stuck paralyzed in her place. She watched gloomily as the boy sauntered off, a part of her feeling bad not being able to comfort him. Once over her initial shock, she reluctantly continued home, thinking over his words.

Clearly, because of Dosu's past, he lost everything in his life and was somewhat forced to work for Orochimaru. He never even had the chance to think for himself; find a new life with people that actually wanted the best for him. 'And yet, just the other day, I was crying because of my brother,'  Y/n took out the food from the bag and began to eat. 'Dosu lost everything, and he still kept going... I'm so lucky for the people in my life.'