Time To Show Off!

(Square up (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ )

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

 The announcement has been made, Sasuke was to fight Orochimaru's lackey while struggling with his newfound curse. Hayate-sensei asked everyone to take their places in the high stands and observe the battle. Y/n took a position next to Kakashi-sensei, cautiously watching Naruto lean off the edge of the railing. She could only assume he was deathly curious about the results of the fight. Sakura, as well. She hunched over her folded hands, mumbling incoherent nothings as if it would convince Sasuke to forfeit.

Nothing would change his mind, and Y/n acknowledged that. If not, she slightly dislike him for it. He's blinded by rage and the need to crave his hunger for revenge- the start of every storybook villain. To be so hellbent on such adverse outcomes is a big red flag, at least, in her view. It's not just his motives but the lengths he's willing to take. The mark on his neck is a clear sign of an evolving issue, yet all he's worried about is getting stronger- to make HIMSELF stronger. Is he not concerned or bothered that his mark could endanger the village? It might be some type of tracker or explosive curse- something!

The battle has begun, and almost immediately, the opposing ninja attacked. He flung a collection of shuriken, easily avoided by Sasuke's own. But his throw was too powerful; his mark must've acted up, causing Sasuke to fall over in pain. The other ninja was quick to throw a devastating punch at the fallen boy. He evaded, sending the ninja to the ground in a chokehold.

"He did it!" Naruto cheered. But it wasn't over. The ninja clutched a fistful of Sasuke's shirt, using his hold to initiate a handful of chakra. The ninja was able to withdraw the weakened Sasuke's grasp. "Wha...?" Naruto gaped, confused and slightly angry. Sasuke was left twitching and wheezing on the ground.

"It was the attack," Y/n whispered, a frown etching on her face. She felt a slight sting emit from her nape; ignoring it, she continued. "The mark must react to Chakra in some way." She couldn't help the stingy remark from leaving my lips, "Sasuke won't last very long without that."

Y/n regretted the words as soon as they left her mouth. Why was she suddenly so cold towards Sasuke? Y/n knew he's somewhat of a prick, but she couldn't think of a time he purposely mistreated her. 'My anger is unjustified,'  Y/n quietly sighed. 'It needs to stop.'

She passed a glance towards Kakashi-sensei, whose stare was already directed towards her. If Y/n didn't know any better, she would've assumed her sensei could read minds and not just jutsus. "Kakashi-sensei, there's something I want to tell you-" His face didn't change; he waited, observing her every word. "It's a-a predicament of sorts..." Y/n's voice led to a whisper. She purposely made sure to stumble back away from Sakura and Naruto so they couldn't hear. "There was an incident in the woods, a man by the name of Orochimaru placed a seal of sorts on Sasuke's neck."

Her hands moved on their own, ringing together nervously as she avoided Kakashi-sensei's unwavering look. "The village... I'm worried-"

Kakashi-sensei placed a gentle hand on her head, and his soothing voice mumbled, "You don't need to be worried, Y/n." Meeting his eyes seemed to melt all the stress away. Kakashi-sensei has always protected them, and Y/n knew they can constantly count on him (YOU'RE HEREEEE!! THERE'S NOTHING I FEAR-). Y/n saw him glance to the side before placing a fraud smile on his face, "You'll do great out there, Y/n! Don't be so nervous!"

She looked over to the railing, catching Sakura and Naruto eyeing them curiously. Sakura had her reasons- Sasuke told her not to inform the others of his mark. And by the morose look on the girl's face, Y/n could tell she was debating whether to talk to Kakashi about it as well. As for Naruto... Well, he appears somewhat confused. That might be a good thing, however. Y/n didn't know what would happen if Naruto were to be involved in this mess.