2.The Moon

Later in the evening,Rekha sat on the double spacious and bright dining table.Absentmindedly,She looked at the all grown up Thomas who was animatedly talking and waving his fork around.From a baby face,he had gradually transformed into a twenty seven year old man.His blue eyes,just like those of his late sister,glinted beneath the vivacious light.Looking at them felt like torture to her,a reminder of something she should have at least tried to prevent.

"How was California?"He dug into his steak with a fork and using his right hand,cut off a proportional piece."Seems like it really favoured your skin."His eyes looked up at her,the same time as her chocolate brown ones."But not your weight."

Not again.

She was getting fed up with people complaining about her lost weight.

"Noticed the same thing."

Granny chimed from her left side,but Rekha's mind was lost in oblivion, fighting to grasp two mysterious concepts.What just happened at the entrance to the town in the afternoon and who was that guy Ralph?

From the way he was confidently speaking,he'd said Granny sent him,which means he had the knowledge that her nana had sent someone.But how?

It's not like the old lady announced through a trumpet that she needed someone to help collect her long lost grandchild from the North side gate.

According to Thomas,who'd driven back worried upon not finding any Rekha waiting around,only the two of them knew about her arrival and probably the owner of that animal shelter.

Now that was some middle aged blonde woman who never had time to gossip about with the idle town folks and so there was no way she'd let the cat out of the bag about her arrival.Even if she did,she wouldn't know the exact time Rekha would reach and call her granny to send someone.

Plus,how would the lady benefit from a band boy picking her up anyway?

"I wanted to lose weight intentionally."She lied smoothly,smiling at the both of them."My cheeks were starting to become flabby."She toyed around with her food,swirling the fork around the steak in small circular motions.

"Is that why you haven't touched your food darling."Granny gave her that look of disapproval."Do you have anorexia?"

She scoffed,stealing a glance at Thomas who was watching her intently,to the point where the latter could feel those oceanic features boring holes on her slump head.Meeting his handsome face,she didn't decipher if he was trying to read her or maybe admire her facial features;but she didn't like that look at all.

"Oh Granny,you worry about too many unnecessary things."Her eyes travelled from those of Thomas who now had his eyes on the plate,suddenly finding interest in it.She smiled at Granny."I eat every meal,every day but..."She tapped the old woman lovingly on the nose."I work out similarly."

"We are so glad you accepted to come."Thomas gave her a small smile."We really need your help."

"Actually about that."She paused her glass of wine right on her glossy parted lips."What's wrong with the animals?Mrs Smith didn't give me a detailed information on what's going on."

Flicking her eyes towards the old ancient clock on the wall,she read the time and was just about to turn back to her company when she noticed something on the large glass window situated opposite her.Yes,it was such a starry, silent night,the lights outside enhancing it's beauty even more.But.The moon shone bright,it's density not as normal as it was supposed to be.

Piercing through her now widening eyes,it seemed as if she was being coerced into looking at it.Actually,it seemed like the full moon was playing mind games with her.Hypnotizing her enchanted self,and just like that,she stood up from her seat.Without realizing,she scraped her chair away and in her half dead,half sleep state,she didn't hear the worried filled questions thrown her way.Nor did she see the confused looks on the two people around her.