𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟾: 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚝 "𝚅𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚂𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚕" 𝟺𝟸

25th July 1998:

"(y/n)! Magnum rounds!"

I strain my lips into a smile then quickly drop them the second Chris looks away. I know he's trying but — I don't know, nothing feels as important anymore.

The ladder took us down into a security room. One where we found we could drain the water and send those sharks to sleep. Obviously in a hellhole like this, nothing's that simple. Long story short, there was a pressure build-up and a shark started crashing into the window. We had to spend the next three, painstakingly long minutes turning dials, rearranging oil tank levels, and pushing buttons. I won't lie, I had no fucking clue what I was doing but I guess winging it did the trick.

We eventually heard the frantic, wet thumps of some very big fish trying to swim through air. I probably should have felt some pity for the helpless creatures but instead, I wished they were dying long, agonising deaths.

After that stressful event, we just carried on through the next door we saw which led us here. Don't know where exactly, but its secluded and seems like a dumping area — just junk and boxes everywhere. There's some iron doors ahead and a set of gates to our left which are the only two ways of progression.

Chris turns to me, furrows his brows and then looks away, thumbing the chamber of the magnum

"We'll avenge him, we'll avenge everyone," he says quietly.

My gaze lingers on his hands, both tightened around the handle of the magnum. I can almost picture the whitening of his ever-bruised knuckles beneath his gloves.

"I know," My words are low and muffled but I know he heard them.

Chris reaches out his hand, as if to touch me, but then sighs and drops it. I clench my jaw and frown. I want Richard to be proud of me. I want to do my best for him and everyone else, it's the least I can give back to them.

I have to stay strong. I can't lose hope.

I picture Richard's face in my head and grip the shotgun tight. Something hot burns inside of me.

"C'mon, we should try and get out of here," I nod my head at the set of iron doors; Chris raises his eyebrows, "you heard Rich, we have to keep going,"

I shoot him a quick smile and lift the shotgun up to my chest. Chris parts his lips then slowly curves them upwards into a grin. I wring the cloth of my shirt to drain as much water as possible and head forwards.

With a single push, the doors swing open out into the other side of the aquarium. A ghostly green light casts over us and my nose twitches at the damp, humid smell. Just breathing this air makes me want to vomit.