Chapter 4

At some point after dinner, Krey had gone to take a shower and walk around the perimeter of the institute to enjoy the cool evening air. Pip had been unusually quiet since he returned from the town. Pip was naturally quiet anyway, but he usually had a lot to say to Krey.

Tonight was different. When Krey asked if Pip would be joining him in bed anytime soon, Pip mumbled that he would read for a bit longer. Krey lingered in the doorway to Pip's library, knowing something was wrong but not able to make Pip feel better. His mate didn't want to talk about it, so Krey respected his wishes and left him to be by himself.

Krey stopped by his mother's room. He knocked, and she yelled for him to enter. She was already in bed, reading a book. She peered at her son from over her reading glasses.

Krey sighed heavily and sat behind her, crossing his legs. He started plaiting her hair, a little more aggressively than usual.

"Watch it," Makena warned, holding the side of her head. "I'd like to keep my hair thank you very much."

Krey mumbled something but didn't ease his fingers.

"I'm guessing this is about Pippor? The poor boy must have been troubled after what happened at the town."

"Everyone who lives there can rot as far as I'm concerned."

"Sid said the police pulled a taser on him. We both know Sid likes to resolve things with his voice not his fists. Don't you think those officers acted a little extreme?"

"I think everyone acted a little extreme. I don't get it."

"And you definitely informed the authorities about Pip living here?" Makena asked, gritting her teeth when Krey tugged a little too hard on her hair.

"Yes, unless they just didn't inform Crescent Town officers. I wouldn't put it past them to be incompetent." Krey felt Pip's sorrow like a dull bulb in his chest. "I shouldn't have let him go."

"We shouldn't live in fear like this."

"I'm not living in fear, I'm just being cautious."

Makena touched the plait when it was done, then turned to face Krey. "We are living in fear. The southern Alpha has consumed us. Doesn't it make you think that they've done this to weaken you?"

"I'm not weak." Krey got up and slammed the hairbrush down on his mother's dresser. "I'm going to bed."

"Wait," Makena sighed and Krey stopped by her door. "Think about Pip here. He's not used to being cooped up in a Packhouse like this. Quite frankly, neither are your wolves. I don't blame Pip for wanted to go to the town. I don't blame him for thinking that nobody would bat an eyelid at his return. That boy is just dealing with the fact that Crescent Town will never be home for him again. I imagine the town holds a lot of memories for him because of his parents. Just let him be sad." Makena approached Krey. "Just because you're his mate doesn't mean that you're responsible for keeping him happy every minute of every day. It's your job to be there when he needs someone. Yes, Pip's usually upbeat and positive, but everyone has bad days. He'll be back to normal soon enough."

Krey rubbed his tired eyes. He thought about snapping back, but Pip had taught him that his mother would only snap twice as hard, which always resulted in an argument. "Tomorrow, I'm phoning the police station. They're not gonna like answering to me."

"Can I be there when you phone? I actually have a few stern words to say myself." Their brown eyes clashed.

Krey nodded and let his mother pat him on the back of his hand. "Go to bed. You need a good night's sleep." Makena tried to kiss his cheek but Krey dodged her and stormed to his bedroom.