Chapter 65

The climb to the top of the cliffs was a daunting task. Pip with his injured leg would struggle, never mind the malnourished prisoners who had been starved and kept in a confined space for two years. The rest of the Rogues and humans were still being helped out. Some of the weaker ones would take a few steps, then rest, take a few steps, then rest.

Pip had come through the tunnel, but he would much rather take his chances on the climb than travel a day in darkness.

Krey didn't say anything behind him. Pip felt his warm chest against his back, and an arm around his waist. His grip was usually strong and secure, now Krey trembled and didn't hold tight enough.

Seeing his father had broken him, but Krey would keep himself together until he was alone. Pip would whisk him away to a quiet part of the Packhouse if he needed to.

First, they had to get out of the cave.

Getting their parents out was hard. Multiple Omegas were needed, a few in front and a few behind. The way up was steep, and some parts included climbing. Though nobody complained. Pip could only imagine that breathing in the fresh air and touching something other than the wet wall of a cave was heavenly.

Soon, it was their turn to climb. Pip's ribs hurt when he lifted his arms, like sharp stabs all over his chest. The thought reminded him of what had happened when he was taken. "Francis!" he gasped, looking up to Krey.

The werewolf stared above them with eyes a million miles away. "She's alive," he mumbled quietly.

Pip relaxed and focused on putting one foot in front of the other. Often, he struggled with his leg, and Krey would lift him. Not once did they let go of each other. Pip was thankful for the physical touch.

When they were almost at the top, Pip slipped on the sandy rock and put weight on his sore leg. It collapsed beneath him and he fell into Krey. Pip gripped Krey's t-shirt before he slid backwards with a pounding heart.

"I've got you," Krey whispered quickly, clinging on too.

"Please lift me out!" Pip wasn't fond of heights, especially if the fall most likely meant death, or if he was lucky enough to miss the rocks, a deep plop in rough seas.

Krey lifted him and Omega's pulled him the rest of the way up. Trees and grass and autumn leaves were sights so glorious that Pip almost kissed the ground. Instead, he crawled to where his parents sat.

All three prisoners looked around, big eyed, open mouthed, soaking up every tree, every bush, every rock. Pip's parents cried, gripping each other and laughing and pointing at everything.

Roden had an air of tranquillity around him. His face revealed little of how he was feeling, but Pip could only imagine the emotions after two years in the dark.

Krey was the last werewolf to climb from the steep cliff. He approached Pip, awkwardly staring at his father, still in a state of disbelief. Pip had never seen him so startled. "Which way is the Packhouse?" he asked.

Krey's eyes flicked to him for only a moment, but his fingers brushed his shoulder. "East."

Pip stood. He didn't want to waste another moment out in the open. He wanted the security of a Packhouse, and to ask if they could travel North in cars. Pip didn't have the energy to hold Krey for a full day of travelling on his back, and he doubted his parents or Roden could even hold on for longer than a second.

"We need to tell the wolves that it's done." Krey reluctantly left Pip balancing on one foot and disappeared through the bushes, only to return with an older man and a woman, and two hundred other wolves.