Chapter 47

"Did anyone come back for the note in the tree?" Pip asked Francis as he tied his shoelaces.

"Nope, and I have a horrid feeling you were watched last night."

Pip paused to see her expression. Her features were tight, and unmoving. "A lovely thought," Pip sighed, pulling the zip of a black waterproof coat up to his chin. He had sunglasses and a black hat to wear. Pip wasn't used to dressing like Krey, but not dressing like himself would help him to blend in.

"We've put up more sensors, so we will know if anyone is nearby, which they're not, for the moment." Francis recognised Pip's brave face and patted his shoulder. "Don't worry. I'm not leaving your side in the Town."

Krey soon tumbled into the hallway, looking less calm and collected as he usually did. He ran a hand through his hair to flatten the bedhead, and leaned against the wall, looking Pip up and down. The plan was to let Pip and his protection team go to the Town. Krey would stay for fifteen minutes, then say he had changed his mind and wanted to catch them up. In reality, Krey would go to Daniel's.

In his head, he imagined everything going wrong. His pessimistic thoughts were both a blessing and a curse at times. He was careful about what he would do if everything went wrong, but now he was nervous.

Pip jumped to him when they were ready and tugged at Krey's shoulders for a kiss. Krey held their hug for longer than usual, making sure to squeeze him tightly, and whisper in his ear for Pip to be careful.

"I will," Pip replied, feeling Krey's lips kissing his temple. "You too."

Krey kissed him once more, then let him go before the other werewolves noticed his nerves. He watched them follow the pebbled path down until they were small in the distance, waiting for the gate to open. Krey stayed by the front door until Pip's scent was a memory in the wind.

His mouth dried, and his heart thumped harder. His legs twitched to run to Pip immediately, but he had to wait, so he waited in an empty meeting room. He was free to pace back and forth as much as he liked. Krey anxiously gripped the front of his hair where his grey streak embedded with the black. He ground his jaw until his muscles hurt and frowned until his eyes throbbed from glaring.

"Calm down," he mumbled. "Pip can feel this."

Krey paced for fifteen minutes, then sprinted down the hall, almost knocking a large plant over from skidding around the corner. "I'm catching up with them," he yelled to the nearest Omega who pinned herself to the wall. "We won't be long. Stick to your phones and watch the territory."

"Yes Alpha!" she replied before he bolted from the front door.

Their plan worked. Nobody seemed stressed by his absence as he slipped through the gate and hurried down the mud path as though he was running to catch up with his mate.

Krey slowed when he lost sight of the Packhouse through the trees. He ventured from the path and sprinted through the woods. Daniel's farm was only a few miles away, but he couldn't afford to dawdle in the woods, not with enemies everywhere.

He was gasping for air by the time smoke rose above the canopies from Daniel's chimney. Krey approached the farm with caution. Anyone else could be with Daniel, not just his daughter who accused Krey of eating their sheep.

He lingered by a big green tractor to catch his breath. Krey then sniffed the air, and only smelt animals. He missed Pip's sweet scent already.

When no movement came from the outside of the farm, he quietly approached the first brick building with a triangle roof. The door was so short, Krey would have to duck under it, if Daniel was home.