Chapter 61

"You need to beat the shit out of me."

"Sorry what?"

"Maybe Debra will try and run with Pip somewhere if she knew I was injured and not going North?" Krey suggested.

"I vote that as the most idiotic idea of the century, and you held an Alpha's Mate off the edge of your own Packhouse roof."

Krey scowled at the Beta of the Eastly Howl Pack. "I don't see you coming up with better ideas."

"Alright, look, we need to think about saving Pip. That is our main priority." The Beta of the Sea Claw Pack crouched by them both sitting hopelessly on the floor, surrounded by hundreds of wolves. He was older and listened to them squabble twice already. "Over there, in that cave, is the pack that have given us so much fear over the past two years. We can't be desperate and end up killing people we love just to finally end this madness. At least we now know who is responsible and can track them down if they get away."

Krey looked towards the sea. They had moved away from the cliff in case Debra slivered from her cave and smelt them. The Rogues were already tense, but they were stuck in the cave and too weak to leave to see the storm waiting above.

Saphine's Beta suddenly appeared through the trees, out of breath and with a trail of her Omega's behind her. She paused, staring wide eyed at the number of wolves sitting around in the woods. Hundreds stared back, all listening to Krey and the Beta wolves discussing where to take their next steps.

"What's all this?" she asked.

"My allies," Krey said, and the words never tasted so sweet. He used to marvel on the fact that he didn't need help, but only because it stopped the cold loneliness from bleeding through.

"For uh..."

"Getting Pip back. A Rogue has told us everything." Krey's eyes darkened, and Saphine's beta suddenly perked up, stepping closer to him. "I can help, Krey." Her greedy eyes soaked up the glorious sight of so many wolves.

Krey could see her fantasizing about being in charge. She must have really wanted power to work with Debra. "You should go home to your Alpha. We don't need you here."

"Oh, but I can definitely help-"

"Now you want to help?" Krey hushed his tone, not wanting everyone to hear his sharpness. "Now that you're back on our side, and not plotting with Debra to help her take over the North."

She stammered on her words and turned as red as the autumn leaves around her. "I-"

"You're not loyal and your secret is not safe with me." Krey smirked. "You should go. Maybe you'll get back in time to pack your own bags."

The Beta wolf said no more. She turned and scrambled through her Omega's paling by the second. The horror on her face was worth the smirk, until Krey remembered that Pip was all alone, in danger and scared. "Maybe we should get the Rogues out of the cave. Well, they're mostly human anyway." Krey explained what Len had said about Debra and Jordan making humans work for them, humans who threatened to tell other werewolves about what they were up to. "Half of them are too weak to get out, and the other half are probably there because they've lost hope for anything else. And that tunnel leading North is probably infested with Rogues."

"Krey, Penelope and I have been talking about a rehabilitation Packhouse for a while now. After Viktor's death, Penelope really had to rely on us to help her through, and at times we couldn't offer her the real guidance she needed. As you said, Rogues lose hope and follow anyone because it's the only way they'll get food or warmth. A rehabilitation Packhouse could sort out the ones we have now who will probably die if we leave them."