Prologue

10 years ago

I stared blankly as my father paced in the living room. He was a tall man with a permanent frown on his face. I always guessed it was because he had to raise children that weren't his.

"I cannot keep up, the pack is suspicious, they  don't come out often, they don't show signs of being a wolf," he spoke in a hush tone.

My young 8 year old brain tried to figure out exactly what he meant by, wolf and pack but it was interrupted by his voice.

" They don't even smell like wolves."

He sounded angry, he is usually angry though.

"You shouldn't talk like that in front of Lily," my mother scolded. " Go to your room hunny," she walked to me and started guiding me to the steps.

I nodded but  as I made it half way up the steps I quietly sat down  to hear what was being said.

" I told you I didn't trust those witches, you turn to them twice because you wanted a son,  I went through so much for you, my mate, who desperately wanted children to get his Beta title ,"  she said angrily.

"Witches?" I mumbled to myself. 

" Did you have a better idea ? This is your fault!" He hissed. "If  you were able to naturally I wouldn't need the help of those witches."

"I have to take them to the pack every month, while masking their natural scent,   I  have kept this up for 8 years, the Alpha keeps asking when we  will be returning to the back house."   I listened as his footsteps quickened.

"Well, how long do you think the excuse of having extremely weak and frail pups who can't be around too much  people will last ?" She questioned. " I even put on the wigs to hide their hair when you carry them out."

I subconsciously touched my mop of red curls.I always hated those itchy black wigs.

"What is they never become wolves ?" I heard the fear and anger in his voice. " Or worse ? What if those witches did something and they are now hybrids?"

My mother gasped. " Hybrids are feared killed, no one will be killing my babies."

"They are my babies too, I love them Freya, I love them so much."

I was shocked to say the least, I had secretly over heard a few months ago my father saying that we weren't his children. It was a lot for an eight year old to process but I thought it explained the way he treated us.

Well me, Storm however  was the apple of his eye.

As though he knew I was thinking about him, my 6 year old brother came out his room with a bed head of curls while rubbing his eyes.

I quickly  ran up the steps and covered him mouth ushering him to be quiet. I could still hear my parents  but not as clearly.

"The Alpha will come....their training is required... witches ..."

I suddenly felt a cold  chill down my back.

Fear.

I felt so afraid suddenly , without even noticing what I was doing. I felt warm arms around me.

"Why are you crying Lily pad ?" My mother asked worriedly.   I only then noticed tears running down my cheeks and crying rather loudly which in turn made Storm cry.

"Evil....coming" I managed to get out through my tears.

"Shit! I smell the Alpha heading this way"  my father hissed.

I felt myself being pulled out my mother's arms and into the air. I grew more panicked by the second . "Mommy ! Mommy" I screamed as I floated in the air.

My parents let out gasps and dreadfully said " Hybrid."