Chapter One

Chapter One: Into the Fire Nation

Makki |~|

A lot has happened in the past few weeks. Almost too much to comprehend... To be honest, everything's felt like one big dream. Because most of it, I still can't believe. To begin my journey, after reuniting with my siblings for good, Sokka had us fly to Chameleon Bay where we met up with Dad and his fleet.

After we arrived, the bay was overrun with some Fire Navy ships. We were able to board one and capture it with no problem. For three weeks we've used the ship as a disguise to help us sail through the Earth Kingdom without any suspicion. Once we were comfortable, Sokka helped explain to everyone his plan to invade the Fire Nation on the day of an eclipse; The Day of Black Sun. Because, much like when the moon was gone for the water benders, when the sun is blocked out, fire benders lose their bending, making it the perfect time to attack.

But ever since we got Aang out of Ba Sing Se, the Earth Kingdom has been falling to the Fire Nation. Luckily, we've still been running into people who can help us with the envision since the Earth Kingdom has lost a lot of its troops. We're still traveling west, searching for more help. Aang is still unconscious but Katara has been healing him. Since that day in the crystal catacombs, the world believes that the Avatar has fallen and that Aang is dead. Though, Sokka is happy about it because he believes it's our greatest weapon in surprising the Fire Nation.

It was currently the evening and I was spacing out at the ocean in front of me, thinking about everything that I've been through. Sometimes I even think back to the very beginning, meeting Aang and getting captured with him. And then I quickly run through my whole experience of traveling with the Fire Nation prince and ending with him– My eyes started to well up at the thought.

As much as I want to forget him... I can't. After all that I've been through with– After all that we've been through... forgetting him is...

I slowly reached into my pocket and pulled out my crescent moon necklace. I took it off after we met up with Dad at the bay and have been keeping it in my pocket since. I looked down at it as it rested in my hands. Small tears stained the light blue ribbon around the moon, turning the color a bit darker. I wiped my eyes as I softly sniffled. I slowly brought the necklace up to my chest and stretched out one of my hands, dangling the necklace over the edge of the boat. My hand trembled as I hesitated to release the ribbon.

I have to get rid of it. He told me to forget it all, so I should just let it go and forget... I need to forget him!

Slow tears painted my cheeks as I stared at the necklace that slightly swayed from the wind. I clenched my eyes shut as I brought the necklace back to me and held it against my chest. After a few seconds, I placed the necklace back in my pocket before putting my hands on the edge of the ship and looking at the dark sky. Suddenly, a hand was placed on my shoulder and I slightly flinched as I shot my head to the side to see the owner of the hand.

"Whoa, didn't mean to scare you," my dad smiled.

I did my best to smile back at him before pulling him into a soft hug.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

"...I've just missed you so much. I want to cherish this reunion," I told him.

I felt my dad relax as he tightened his arms around me.

[~][~][~]

Deeper into the night, more people came out onto the deck since it was one of the few times that we could socialize without being easily spotted by other Fire Navy ships. Katara and Toph soon joined me in staring out at the ocean, the three of us sharing some moments of small talk until a soft bang erupted from the stairs that led below deck. Katara, Toph, and I turned to see a bandaged Aang lying on the deck.