Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen: A Happy Ending

Makki |~|

The comet came and went. And when it was gone, I was able to find my siblings and they explained to me how Aang came back to face the Fire Lord. And I explained to them mine and Zuko's battle with Azula. All of us followed our destinies and won our battles to win the war. The Fire Lord was no more and Aang brought balance to the world.

A day has passed since then, and it was time for Zuko's coronation as Fire Lord. All the armies from the four nations had come to celebrate the beginning of a new era, including my dad and his fellow soldiers. But before I decided to say hello, I knew I had one other thing to take care of. I made my way through the Fire Nation palace and found an injured prince trying to get dressed for his special day.

"Hey, don't hurt yourself trying to get dressed," I said as I walked up to him. "That would be pretty embarrassing, wouldn't it?"

We shared a small laugh as I helped him put on his robe.

"Thank you," he said.

"Of course," I said. "This is the least I should do for you."

"No, I mean, for everything," he said. "For always being there for me, for showing me the right path, for forgiving me, and for loving me the way that you do."

I felt myself blush from his statement.

"Then, thank you, too," I said. "For loving me back."

Zuko wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me in for a kiss before we embraced for a few moments.

"All right," I said. "I have to go. I know my dad is waiting for me."

Zuko nodded and I raced out of the palace and into the crowd outside. I looked around and soon found my dad. We locked eyes and I ran to him for a hug.

"There she is," he said and we released. "I knew you'd show up soon."

"Yeah, sorry, I had to... uh..."

"Tend to your Fire Nation boyfriend?" Sokka teased.

I looked at him, glared, and gave a hard punch to his arm.

"Ow!"

"Really? Zuko?" my dad raised an eyebrow at me.

"Hey! We all know he's a good guy," I defended and looked at Dad. "And he helped get you out of prison!"

"Oh, yeah, that's right," my dad rubbed the back of his neck. "It's just, I never thought my kid would be in relations with someone from the Fire Nation. Let alone someone from the royal family."

"Trust me, at first, I thought it was never gonna happen," I laughed. "But, he changed. And, at the same time, he captured my heart."

Dad smiled, "Whatever makes you happy, sweetheart."

I smiled back at him.

[~][~][~]

All of us were told to stand in a line with our respected people from our nation just before the Fire Lord would be presented. After everyone stood ready and attentive, Zuko came walking out dressed in Fire Nation robes with his hair up in a bun. We all cheered for him.

"Please," he raised his hand. "The real hero... is the Avatar."

The crowd cheered even more as Aang walked out dressed in the robes of his ancient people, the Monks. He smiled as he stood next to Zuko.

"Today, this war is finally over!" Zuko announced. "I promised my uncle that I would restore the honor of the Fire Nation and I will. The road ahead of us is challenging. A hundred years of fighting has left the world scarred and divided. But with the Avatar's help, we can get it back on the right path, and begin a new era of love and peace."

One of the Fire Sages started to walk over to Zuko as he knelt down.

"All hail Fire Lord Zuko!" the sage said as he placed the crown in Zuko's hair.

The crowd cheered as Zuko stood up and smiled as he and Aang stood together.

[~][~][~]

A few days had passed since Zuko's coronation, and all of us are currently visiting Iroh at his house in the upper ring of Ba Sing Se. Zuko had just made tea and was passing a cup around to everyone. Iroh was playing a soft tune on the tsungi horn, Aang was playing with Momo, Suki was teaching me how to play pai sho, and Katara was watching us.

"Zuko! Stop moving!" Sokka demanded from his little desk. "I'm trying to capture the moment. I wanted to do a painting so we'd always remember the good times together."

"That's very thoughtful of you, Sokka," Katara smiled as she took a glance at the painting. "Wait, why did you give me Momo's ears?"

This piqued everyone's curiosity and caused us to crowd around Sokka and his painting.

"Those are your hair loopies," he explained.

"At least you don't look like a porcupine," said Zuko. "My hair is not that spiky."

"Why do my braids look like horns?" I asked.

"Why did you paint me fire bending?" Suki asked.

"I thought it looked more exciting that way," said Sokka. "...Oh, you think you could do a better job, Momo?"

"Hey, my belly is not that big anymore– I've really trimmed down," Iroh pointed.

"Well, I think you all look perfect!" Toph exclaimed making us all laugh.

When everything calmed down, I walked up to Zuko as he sat near a window and stared out of it. When I sat next to him, he turned and smiled at me.

I lightly giggled, "You seem happy."

Zuko planted a small kiss on my cheek, "I am happy."

Zuko slowly placed a hand on the back of my head and pulled me in for a deep, loving kiss that felt as if it lasted for a lifetime.

"I love you."

|~||~||~| {~}{~}{~} [~][~][~] (~)(~)(~)