Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen: Zuko and Azula's Agni Kai

Makki |~|

Halfway to the Fire Nation and the comet had already come and illuminated the sky behind us. The whole world was turning into a shade of red, similar to when Zhao killed the Moon Spirit. I looked behind me to see the comet before glancing at Zuko to see him spacing out.

"Are you okay?" I asked as I jumped from the saddle to Zuko.

"I'm just... I'm worried about Aang," he said. "What if he doesn't have the guts to take out my father? What if he loses?"

"...Speaking honestly, I haven't thought about it," I said. "Because I believe with all my heart that Aang will come back and he'll win."

I faced forward, trying to get the thought of Aang losing out of my head. Suddenly, I felt Zuko's arm around my shoulders and he pulled me close to place a kiss on my temple.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made you worry," he said.

"I'm fine," I told him. "...Are you ready to face your sister?"

"Yeah... I am."

[~][~][~]

When we finally made it to the Fire Nation palace, the whole place was deserted except for Azula and the Fire Sages that stood beside her for her coronation. They all stared at us as Appa landed in front of them.

"Sorry, but you're not gonna become Fire Lord today," Zuko said to Azula before he dismounted Appa. "I am."

"You're hilarious," Azula mockingly laughed.

I quickly dismounted Appa and stood next to Zuko.

"And you're going down..." I told her.

"...Wait," Azula stopped the man behind her from putting on her crown. "You want to be Fire Lord? Fine, let's settle this. Just you and me, brother, the showdown that was always meant to be– Agni Kai!"

"...You're on."

I quickly looked over at Zuko, "What're you talking about? We're supposed to take her on together. She's just trying to get to you."

"I know, but I can take her this time," said Zuko.

"But Iroh said that you needed help, that's why I'm here," I explained.

"There's something off about her," he admitted. "I can't explain it, but she's slipping. And this way, no one else has to get hurt."

I looked back at Azula and took in her appearance. Her usual tight, sleek bun is now in tatters with random strands of hair falling out in places and her bangs are uneven. She stood a bit skewed and her demeaning smirk is now a full-on evil smile that she's having trouble hiding.

I can see what he means by 'she's slipping'.

"Okay, but... don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it," I told him.

Azula and Zuko walked to opposite ends of the courtyard as the Fire Sages disappeared. As Zuko and Azula knelt in preparation for the Agni Kai, I got onto my knees in front of Zuko and waited for him to raise his head. When he did raise his head and looked into my eyes, I held his jaw with both my hands and pulled him in for a serious kiss.

"I love you," I said after we pulled away.

"I love you too," he said before he and Azula rose to their feet.

"I'm sorry it has to end this way, brother," Azula said as she tossed her robe to the side.

"No, you're not," Zuko stated simply as he stood, ready to battle.