Chapter Three

Chapter Three: The River Spirit

Makki |~|

After our leave from the island in the Fire Nation homeland, we found ourselves flying above a disgustingly polluted river. It was actually at a good time, though, because Appa needed some rest from flying and the river allowed him to easily swim (even if he did get dirty). And Aang, being who he is, wanted to also swim in the river, have some fun while we followed Sokka's strict schedule he made that would end with the invasion plan.

"Hey, guys, I think this river's polluted," Aang frowned after he hopped back onto Appa's saddle.

"You think?" I asked after Aang sprayed the pollution all over us.

"Well, that explains why I can't catch a fish around here," Sokka complained. "Because normally my fishing skills are... off the hook... Get it? Like a fishing hook?"

"Too bad your skills aren't on the hook," Toph joked and we all laughed; well, except for Sokka.

"It looks like we'll need to go somewhere else to get food," said Katara. "...Assuming that'll fit into Sokka's master schedule."

"Hmm... it's doable," Sokka deemed as he stared at his schedule. "But that means only two potty breaks today."

"Hey, maybe we can get food there," Aang pointed.

All of us followed Aang's finger to see a sad, rundown river town just sitting in the middle of the pollution. Since it seemed that it was our only option for food, we decided to park Appa in the vegetation beside the river before making our way over to the town.

"There. Now you look just like a little hill with horns," Aang smiled after placing a blanket of moss over Appa. "Bye, buddy!"

"...I don't feel anything," Toph said as we marched to the edge of the rocks we were on that were beside the town. "Where is this village?"

"It's in the middle of the river, surrounded by water," I explained to the blind girl.

"Sure is!"

We all looked down the side of the rocks to see an old Fire Nation man on top of a crude raft.

"My name's Dock," he greeted happily. "Mind if I ask who you are?"

"We're, um, from the Earth Kingdom colonies," Katara lied.

"Wow, colonials," Dock awed. "Hop on, I'll give you a ride into town."

Agreeing on the idea, we all nodded to each other and made our way down the side of the rocks to take Dock up on his offer.

"Why do you guys live on the river?" Katara asked as Dock rowed the raft along with a stick.

"Because we're a fishing town. At least, that's how it was before the factory moved in," Dock explained as the factory, a few ways away, came into view. "Army makes their metal there. Moved in a few years ago and started gunking up our river. For now, our little village is struggling to survive."

"Thanks for the ride," Aang waved as we hopped off Dock's raft.

Upon our arrival into the river town, we noticed how depressed and gloomy, not only the town was, but the people too. Everyone was just lying about, saying and doing nothing.

These poor people. The Fire Nation is even cruel to their own people.

"Look at this place," said Katara. "It's so sad. We have to do something to help."

"No, we can't waste our time here," Sokka argued. "We have a bigger mission that we need to stay focused on. These people are on their own."

"These people are starving, but you turn your back on them?" Katara stomped up to Sokka. "How can you be so cold and heartless?"