Dr. Gaster will see you now

"Who are they?"

You watched as Sans made his way to you, socket cocked and jacket donned even in the sweltering heat. He came up behind you, peering over your shoulder where two monsters were arguing irrefutably about what exactly-? Even you didn't know. "I... I don't know, they were just there..." you murmured, watching them bicker back and forth. Looming above you, hulking, metallic- was the lab. The heart of the Hotlands. The magma had since grown cold, hardening over to ebony rock that lay solid in the gulf of the white cliffs above. "I like what they've done with the place..." Sans hummed, nodding as he glanced around the silent plains. Well, almost silent. You hadn't the faintest idea just who these two were- you had found them already here when you called Sans down to meet with Gaster as promised.

"Hey-!" Sans suddenly called out, the duo whirling on him furiously— "You guys got an appointment or can weeeee-?" He motioned to the doors, sealed. They smiled airily, earlier unpleasantness seemingly melted. "Oh not at all dears, go right ahead-!" "The doctor's always in nowdays-!" They parted, moving aside as Sans chuckled. "Heh. I was jokin' around but let's go.." He grinned, grasping your hand to pull you along with him gently. His phalanges were warm, albeit a little coarse- though they lacked Red's nervous clamminess. It had only been a few days since your.... interaction. You still thought on it even now as to what if he hadn't have stopped? Would you still love Red? Would you still love Sans— scratch that last part-! You only loved Red. You were engaged to Red! And no nice-smelling, hoodie wearing- pun-tastic hooligan of a skeleton was going to take that from under you-!!

Sans' hand squeezed yours softly, an action that sent your heart into an accursed flutter- something was wrong here. He stopped short of the doors, knocking thrice- a dull metallic echo from across the greyscape. It was a moment before footsteps shuffled from the inside in a lumber drag. A groan came from the metal as it propped open, Sans' hand still in yours as a white skull of striking familiarity appeared through the sliver of dark in which haunted the doorway. "I'm not taking patients right now-" it rasped, lined with misery as the figure receded- "Mr. Gaster?" You called cautiously. It reappeared cautiously.

The past century had done ill to him, a lifetime slot of mourning, self-blame had made the former don sluggish, skull a parchment yellow that brought out his dim, sunken sockets- a far cry from the bright alertness they carried all those years ago... They widened upon the sight of Sans- "You can't be seen here-!" He grasped your wrist with a hiss, pulling you in along with Sans who yelped as you were thrust into darkness. Gaster's movements were giddy through what you could see in the shadows- though not from any sentience of joy. Fiddly, jittery- nervous. Almost afraid. Time had changed him indeed. "Woah... You ok, princess?" Sans rumbled from behind you- phalange against the small of your back as he helped you to your feet. You angled your head- refusing to accept your flush.

"I'm fine." You murmured, rearing away to Sans' slight disappointment, clenching the warmth in his phalange. Gaster swept past a rafter of papers, dishevelled coat trailing behind as he raced around shiftily. Sans wandered into the cluttered space, rubbing his cheekbone. "Jeez- this place is worse than mine, I gotta hand it to you doc- how do you trash your place so well? I'd love to learn from a pro-" He snorted, you nudging him, fighting your smile. Gaster whirled, phalange flicking towards the darkness behind you. Office chairs swept you both up from behind with a rusted squeak. "You aren't meant to be here. What on earth— how are you?" Gaster gestured to Sans, sputtering as he tried to grasp words that only eluded him. "Here. How are you here?!" Gaster demanded.

Sans blinked. "Oh uh- I'm only here on invitation. The kid invited me to tag along on this little excursion." He grinned sheepishly under the weary gaze of Gaster. "Not that you blue buffoon-!! You're a dimensional copy yet you're on the physical plane of existence-! How is this possible? Soul releases aren't meant to naturally occur till the host returns after resurrection-!" Sans blinked yet again, shrugging. "Early probation?" He joked before you touched his arm, glancing at the befuddled doctor. Your voices were mere hushed white noise as he stared at your smaller hand atop of his sleeve. He smiled down at it, wanting to take it in his own and pat it comfortingly- admiring his ring on your finger. ....His? No, it wasn't- no it couldn't- you weren't HIS wife... were you? No, no- just because he was there- just because he had felt everything whilst trapped on the inside- it didn't make you his. But then again- He felt that they were also his actions and his words. He was a part of Sans in that time. Only trapped and blurred. He sighed to himself, still staring down.