Back to life

He was alone.

He was sliced to the very bone, dust oozing like Sand-timers out of his every skeletal limb. He fell against the wall, fatigued, legs splayed out from underneath him as his skull fell back with a pant. He had done it. But at a price. It was mentally demanding having to re-kill yourself, let alone twenty three times. He was exhausted. He looked up at the over-arching ceiling that hung above him, smiling to himself. He had done it, and it was all worth it.

He would finally see you again, hold you again. Cup your sweet little cheeks- drink you in like the depraved monster he was, parched from the lack of seeing you. It was silent in the hall- save for Sans catching his stilted breaths. He shut his sockets for a mere moment. He was so, so tired... he had exerted himself to the point of vulnerability, though his clones didn't exactly take an easy beating. He rolled on his side with a huff, sockets slivering open.  The ends of a violet gown were draped before him. His gaze flickered upwards lazily, shooting open upon impact of seeing your face smiling down on him. "(Y/N)-?!!!" He bellowed, shooting back. It only took a second to gather himself from the floor, launching himself at your smaller frame, clamping down. He buried his skull against your shoulder, a dry, heaving sob coming muffled from his shuddering mouth.

He only continued to brokenly sob, his breaths only gasps of your name, as if to testify just how much he had obsessed over you during this interlude- how much he felt this were only a dream, too heaven-sent to be real— you just stood there, unmoving against his sudden leap of affection. He noticed this, slowly beginning to withdraw from you. His sockets turned from relief to dread in the split second it took for realisation to strike, the phantom translucency of your appearance apparent. His vision doubled, growing nauseous as he jolted away- it... it was... He burst with a clatter through the doors- "No- no, no- NO—!!!" He muttered to himself, as he darted towards Asgore's hall. He couldn't— it was determined but he couldn't- he couldn't ever— even if it meant returning- his hand was being forced. He couldn't- He couldn't— even if it was a clone....

He could never kill you.

He thrust open the doors to Asgore's hall with a resounding clatter as the former king fell to his knees- it wasn't a matter of physical standing— but the cripple of remorse that had made him kneel before this phantom queen of his. He clutched at his trident, paws weakly slipping away before it fell with a metallic clash. He stared up at her before he clutched at the ends of her gown, bringing it to his face like a child would it's mother, cowering. "I'm sorry..." he gasped, mountainous shoulders shaking under their plated armour.

He had loved her- hell, he still did to this very minute. She was the love of his life. His chest ached with every second of mourning- every second next to that empty throne, next to those pie tins that scattered the kitchen benches. He was torn mentally, for the longest time too. Alone. He knew this was coming when he eventually met his end- he knew they'd meet this inevitably, kill her inevitably with his own paws. But seeing her here... he knew he was happy with dying the second she left. He kept his head bowed as the trident flicked upwards on command, Asgore clutching her skirts tighter as it was brought down against his back that shattered into a million fine-grained particles just as Sans found his voice to yell.

...

Darkness. Nothing but pitch and silence as he wandered. Empty. An endless dark horizon- a corridor to wait idly in isolation as you floated round for a good thousand years. It would be odd, considering how many die that one would wind up alone- but maybe monsters had their own distanced nirvanas. It was peaceful to say the least. He didn't have to be a king here, not anymore. He felt nothing but contentment from his actions, as if all had melted back. All regrets, fears, guilt— simply washed. He knew he wouldn't brush shoulders with anyone in this place, he was truly alone. Ah, yes. Alone.