Eye of a Storm

The four ninjas were only a couple of miles away from their last checkpoint. Naruto sighed in relief, he knew the moment they arrived in Konoha, he would try to explain to Gaara his feelings. Although he himself was not sure what he would say but was certain he would find the right ones at the moment. He was never much of a thinker, instead would act upon his own morals and emotions. Now those emotions told him...no screamed to him that he wanted Gaara to stay by his side. Not as a comrade or friend but something much more. 

Gaara on the other hand was left very confused over the passing days. He could recall the uncomfortable moments that Naruto's presence alone, could stir something within him. He was not able to decipher whether it had been a good feeling, but it did similarly remind him of how Shukaku would often pester him, making him lose control, invading his thoughts. 

The thoughts dissipated as the outline of a cabin most likely their last checkpoint came into view. As they all sprinted towards it, the dirt beneath them began to lift creating clouds of dust. This sudden wind gust was followed by a large shadow swirling them from above. Upon looking up, they saw what all of them dreaded...

...the Akatsuki...the long coats adorned with red clouds was a dead give-away. There stood Deidara and Sasori perched upon a clay bird flying in circles around the ninjas. From the distance, the Sand and Leaf Ninja did not see the clay bomb dropped by the blond rouge, and when they did it was far too late.

"Bang! HAHAHA, ART IS AN EXPLOSION!" cheered the user. While below the four ninjas were catapulted away by the sheer force. As they managed to barely stand up again, they were bombarded with various other bombs and quickly had to jump away; however, in their current disoriented way, it was hard to switch into an offensive tactic. 

"Naruto!Gaara! You need to get away from here and go to Konoha, immediately! Me and Sai will handle it" Captain Yamato ordered. 

"I'm not leaving you here! I am staying and fighting!", Naruto pried. 

"No Naruto this is what they want if you or the Kazekage get caught, it would mean the death of thousands of others. You must not stay! Kazekage-sama, please I know you have better judgment than Naruto here, take him back to the village both of you cannot get hurt!" Yamato pleaded. 

Naruto turned to face him anxious to see what he needed to say, but he only needed one look of his cold teal eyes that told him they were going back to Konoha whether he wanted to or not. If it had been in any other situation Naruto would have defied the instructions, but he knew with Gaara it wouldn't end his way. He decided the smarter choice was to get to Konoha quick and get back up. 

Naruto Pov:

It seemed like Gaara could read to look on my eyes and only nodded in agreement as his saw me running towards the village. Without looking back we both headed northwards as fast as our feet could take us. We soon entered the forested area and jumped through the trees swiftly. Perhaps it was the adrenaline rushing through me that I did not sense the extra two chakra signals. A kunai was sent flying towards me millimeters away from my face and hit the branch next to me with a thud. In an instinct, both of us drew our own kunai, back to back ready for the attacker. Both figures did not even attempt in hiding themselves, emerging from the thick foliage. 

"It can't be.......................................

SASUKE!!!!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go, a short chapter, but at least I wrote something. Anyways, I just wanted to say that in this story, yes, Gaara does still have shukaku. Okay, my brain is shutting down now...but anyways next chapter will be juicy-ish. 

Proxi out~