Could it ever be the same?

As they reached John's car, Thomas began talking as he put on his seat belt, "Hey, John?" John pulled out of the parking lot, "Yea?" Thomas looked off into the distance, "Do you think Christmas will be the same without Grandpa?" John thought for a second, their grandpa had died last year and this year was the first without him. That was why they were going to spend Christmas with their grandma. John patted the steering wheel, "I think it all depends on how you see it. You know what Grandpa used to say: 'When you keep memories of a person, they're always with you in spirit.'" Thomas nodded, "Right." John spotted the Sonic Drive-in across the way, "You wanna get a drink?" Thomas nodded again, "Yea."

As the boys sat sipping their drinks, John noticed that Thomas still looked pretty down, "Don't worry, kiddo. It'll be okay." He gave his little brother a pat on the back and a kiss. Thomas smiled, "Thanks, John." John leaned back, "So, what's the best thing we're gonna get to do this year? We've got a long list from what I heard: sledding, Christmas lights, caroling, cookies, horseback riding, sleigh-riding, snow, Christmas shopping, and Uncle Ben and Uncle Lon have a big surprise." Thomas' eyes lit up, "A surprise?! What kind of surprise?"

"They didn't say of course, but they gave us a clue: it was something on the radio that they and Dad used to listen to when they were kids." Thomas laughed, "It could be anything, maybe that'll be the best part. But caroling will be great, too. You sing like an angel." John chuckled and patted his brother on the cheek, "You are such a sweetheart."

"Thanks."