New Year's Eve

John and Thomas slept in late on New Year's Eve.  At about eleven, they both woke up.  John was just coming down to wake up Thomas when he saw him already blinking his eyes, "'Morning, buddy."

"'Morning."

"We've got a few more things to do before Pocahontas and Nakoma get here.  Mom needs our help in the kitchen.  We got desserts to bake and meat to thaw for the grill."  Thomas yawned, "Okay, let me get dressed and I'll be right down."  John smiled and gave him a squeeze, "See you downstairs, love you."

"Love you, too."  Once John left, Thomas pulled on some jeans and his favorite shirt and came downstairs.  John saw him and rubbed his hands, "Great! Kiddo, we need you to run down to the freezer in the garage and get the meat in there."

"I'm on it."  Thomas ran off to the garage and found the meat right where they put it after they got back from the Walmart and came running back with it panting, "Got it quick as I could!"

"Perfect, leave 'em right there on the counter.  Mom got the cupcakes done, we just need to frost and sprinkle 'em.  Why don't you do the frosting? You're better at it than me.  You know what happened last time."  Thomas giggled and smiled, "Okay, sure."  Last time, John had tried, but got frosting everywhere and just made a huge mess that needed to be cleaned up.

While they worked, they talked about getting to see the girls again, "Feels like it's been forever." 

"I know, right? They said they'd be here by nine.  It's now half-past twelve.  Let's get some lunch and get back to work."  After a couple of quick sandwiches, the boys got back to it.  There were burger patties to make, charcoal to set out, fireworks to set out, and the grill to clean.  There was so much to do that, by the time everything was set, it was only thirty minutes to when the girls were coming and Mr. Smith got a text from Mr. Powhatan that they were heading on the road towards them.  With all the preparations done, the boys sat by the window to watch for the girls to come.  After about fifteen minutes, Mr. Powhatan texted their dad again, "Should be pulling in any minute."  John and Thomas tapped their feet, how could a minute take so long?

Finally, Mr. Powhatan's red Ford pulled into the driveway.  John and Thomas shot out of their seats, "Dad," John called into the kitchen, "They're here!"

"Great!" 

John excitedly opened the door.  Pocahontas and Nakoma rushed into the boys arms.  Pocahontas giggled, "Hi, babe." and the two shared a kiss.  Nakoma looked longingly into Thomas' eyes, "Hi, honey.  How was the trip?"  Thomas stared dreamily back into hers, "Amazing.  I wish you could've been there." Nakoma giggled and they kissed.  John took Pocahontas' hand, "Come on, the party's in here.  Dad's got the grill fired up and we've got the entirety of The Dukes of Hazard to get through before midnight."  Nakoma smiled, "Really? That's great!"  They all headed outside where Mr. Smith was working on the grill and greeting Mr. Powhatan.  He spotted the girls, "Hi, girls!"

"Hi, Mr. Smith!"

"Why don't you kids get the Dukes cued up while your dad and I catch up?"  

"Don't need to ask twice, Daddy."  Thomas replied.  Nakoma took Pocahontas' hand, "Isn't he adorable?" she whispered to her big sister.  Pocahontas smiled and rain her fingers through her hair, "Of course he is."

As they watched on the couch, Thomas nudged Nakoma, "Sweetie? You know how Uncle Jessie said that Luke used to suck his thumb a lot when he was a baby?"

"Yea."

"I wonder if that's how he got the mark on his thumb."

"Where?"