Fun Around Every Corner

"So, what are we doing this afternoon?" John asked their dad. Mr. Smith took a sip of coffee, "Well, your uncles are taking you two ice skating and, afterwards, I'm taking us all bowling." The boys' eyes lit up, "Ice skating and bowling?!" John exclaimed. He held out his hand to Thomas. When Thomas didn't return the high-five, "Come on, don't leave me hanging." Thomas returned it. Mr. Smith chuckled, "Why don't you boys get bundled up. Don't forget your skates."

"We sure won't."

At the rink, it seemed like lots of people had come to skate. Once the boys had their skates on, John took Thomas' hand, "Come on, let's hit the ice." Thomas nodded, "I'm ready, you think I'll do okay?" John pulled him with him onto the ice, "Of course, you're one of the best I know." As they skated to the other side, Thomas started to wobble. John kept hold of his hand, "I gotcha, you can do it." Once Thomas found his balance, John slowly began to let go, "You think you got it?"

"I got it."

The boys skated for three hours till Uncle Lon called them back, "Wrap it up, kids. We're going to meet your mom, dad, and grandma at the bowling alley."

"We're coming!" John took Thomas' hand again and they skated back to the edge where their uncles were waiting. On the way, John nudged Thomas. It was just like at the playground when they were little. When it was time to leave, whoever was watching them would tell them, 'Choose one more thing, then we got to leave.' Uncle Lon sounded the same way.

The boys talked the whole way to the bowling alley, "I wish we could do this all the time." Thomas told John. John nodded, "Me, too." Just as he said this, they arrived at the bowling alley. "Goodness," Uncle Ben said as they got out of the car, "You boys sure talk a bluestream." Thomas stuck his nose up a little, "We know."

"On the other hand, I am glad it's lunchtime. All that skating's made me hungry." They saw their dad waving them over, "I hoped you guys would be hungry. I got us pizza." Mr. Smith handed the boys some cups, "Go over to the soda fountain and get a drink."

"Awesome!"

After filling up their plates with pizza, Mrs. Smith started setting up the lanes, "How do you boys wanna do it?" Thomas turned to their grandma, "Are you gonna play, Grandma?" Grandma shook her head, "Not this time, I think my bowling days are over." John thought for a second, "Well, if we had enough, we could do it boys vs. girls, but we don't. Let's do kids vs. grownups." Thomas bobbed his head up and down, "Yea!" Mrs. Smith, "Alright, we'll put the grownups on the left and you boys can be on the right." The boys high-fived, "This is gonna be awesome!" John clapped Thomas on the back.

The game went on boys vs. grownups. The grownups had an advantage since Mr. Smith played for a team in college. The boys kept switching between eating and bowling as their turns allowed. John payed to have a song played over the intercom with the song selector. 

The boys kept cheering each other on, John kept telling Thomas he had good aim and a strong throw.

In the end, the boys managed to win by a point. "Good game everyone!" Mr. Smith announced. The boys hit heads and high-fived. "Can we hit the soda fountain one more time?" Mr. Smith nodded, "Sure, just come out to the cars when you're done." The boys, rushing without running, grabbed Coke and Pepsi and headed out to the cars. Thomas rushed over and hugged his dad, "Thanks, Daddy." Mr. Smith patted his son's back and smiled, "You're welcome, kiddo. You guys gonna ride home with your uncles?" The boys nodded, "We'll see ya back at the house."

A few miles down the road, Uncle Lon suddenly had a thought and whispered to Uncle Ben. After some whispered arguing, the boys exchanged perplexed looks and leaned forward to get a glimpse of what they were saying. Finally, they broke apart, "You boys wanna get ice cream?" Thomas and John looked at each other, "Sure." Uncle Ben sort of scowled at Uncle Lon, "Alright, but you boys gotta promise you won't tell your mom and dad."

"We promise."

Once they were all finished with their ice cream, "Alright, toss out the evidence." Everyone threw their trash away. Uncle Ben gave them the cobra eye, "Not a word of this to your mom and dad." John and Thomas giggled, "We promise we won't." they assured him.

That night at supper, Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Grandma asked the boys about the skating rink, "We had loads of fun!" John started, "Thomas just needed a leg up, but he's still good at it." He nudged Thomas who blushed, "Yea, I'll have plenty of time to get back into the shape of it." Everyone laughed and Grandma slapped her lap, "Well, if everyone's finished, I made something special for dessert." Thomas and John exchanged glances, "What is it?" John asked. Grandma smiled, "Well, I made you boys' favorite?" Thomas' eyes lit up, "Really?! It's apple pie?!"

"Yep. And ice cream, just the way you like it." John's mouth watered, "Oh, sweet mama!"

Afterwards, everyone gathered around in the sitting room while Uncle Ben and Uncle Lon set up the radio.

The boys yawned. No matter how much of a cliffhanger it turned out to be, they were tired. Uncle Lon chuckled, "You boys ready for bed?" Thomas nodded and got closer, "Mmmhmm. It's been a long day." John nodded and put his head on Uncle Ben's shoulder, "I still wonder what'll happen next." Uncle Ben rolled his eyes and smiled, "Well, like we keep telling you boys, you'll get to find out tomorrow. But right now, scoot up those stairs. Your Uncle Lon will be up to tuck you in." The boys said goodnight to everyone else and headed upstairs to get ready for bed.