Almost Christmas Eve

"I can't believe it!" Thomas shouted at breakfast with maple syrup all over his face, "Christmas Eve is tomorrow!" John nodded, "I know right!" Uncle Ben high-fived each of his young nephews, "Gotta remember to check Norad sometime tomorrow." The boys chugged down their milk and went to get their winter clothes on when their dad caught them "Oh, no you don't. You two aren't going anywhere till your room is dirty clothes free." The boys turned around and headed upstairs to their room. Having pitched their clothes down the chute, they headed outside.

The boys stayed outside the whole morning and had snowball fights, made snow angels, sledded down the hill, built a snowman for the front yard, and rode the horses through the snow. Just as they were putting the horses back in the stable, Grandma called them in lunch, "Boys! Lunch is ready!" John called back from putting up Victor's saddle, "Be right there, Grandma!"

Once they came in and hung up their things, Mrs. Smith made them put on slippers and clean sweaters. This time, though, they really didn't mind. Thomas could feel his feet getting numb and John's hands felt stiff, "That shows you've been out for too long." Mr. Smith told them as he sat them down. They were both grateful it was hot soup, it did better than anything else would have.

They didn't need much encouragement, but their mom insisted they stay inside the remainder of the day. Thomas took out his flute and played 'All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth' while John sang along attempting to sound as though he'd lost his two front teeth. The grownups laughed and applauded. It was so realistic and so funny, you couldn't help laughing.

After the mini-performance, Uncle Ben had the boys help him carry in firewood for the fireplace. After putting old newspapers and magazines in with it, Uncle Ben showed John how to light it properly and the wood and paper was soon ablaze. The boys were glad to get warm by it and pulled their uncles into Go Fish and then Liar. After a few games of Clue, Game of Life, and Scrabble, Uncle Lon put on It's a Wonderful Life. It made Mrs. Smith and Grandma cry everytime, it made Thomas and John maybe shed a tear or two. Uncle Ben never cried when he watched it, he was too tough for that.

After the movie, Grandma and Mrs. Smith made supper while the men played another round of Scrabble near the now decorated Christmas tree. John lifted his nose and sniffed the air, "Ooooo, is it Rotisserie Chicken, I hope?" Mrs. Smith affirmed it, "Yes, it is." Thomas' mouth began to water, "Mmmmm." When they all washed hands and sat down, the smell seemed even more tortuous. Uncle Ben and Uncle Lon were talking about sports and a car they needed to get fixed at the garage they worked at once the Christmas holiday was over.

As soon as they were eating, Thomas couldn't help asking since Christmas was so close, "Daddy, when do we leave to go home?"  Mr. Smith took a bite of chicken, "Two days after Christmas."  Thomas' shoulders slumped.  Uncle Ben put an arm around him, "What's wrong, kiddo?"  Thomas sighed, "Well, I was hoping we could stay a little longer.  We've been having such a good time." Uncle Ben smiled and patted his back, "It's alright, kiddo.  You'll still get to come back.  We'll have plenty of other times to get together."  Thomas cheered a little, "Okay."  Uncle Ben patted his shoulder.

Once everyone was done eating and the chocolate pie was dished out, John and Thomas began talking about what would happen next with The Cinnamon Bear. It was getting so exciting, you couldn't help wondering what would happen next. Uncle Lon nudged Uncle Ben, the surprise was clearly the best one they made since the big trip to Dairy Queen and they got XL Blizzards.

As soon as everyone finished their pie, they all gathered up to listen to Cinnamon Bear. John and Thomas were nearly bursting at the branches with excitement and anticipation.

Thomas snuggled into Uncle Lon's chest, perfectly cozy. Uncle Lon planted a kiss on him and slapped his lap, "Okay, let's get you boys to bed. Tomorrow's Christmas Eve." John nodded sleepily from where he was equally buried in Uncle Ben's embrace. Uncle Ben and Uncle Lon tucked the boys in extra tight and brought them extra blankets, "Just so you won't get too cold." Uncle Ben told John as he planted a kiss on his cheek. The men kissed and hugged the boys goodnight and left them to get some sleep.