Today, Forever, and Always

I highly suggest listening to the song, "Control" by Zoe Wees during or before reading this chapter

I highly suggest listening to the song, "Control" by Zoe Wees during or before reading this chapter. I listened to it on repeat writing the backbone of the chapter and was literally sobbing.

"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight" Dumbledore started. You stared at your hands numbly. The past few days had completely shattered you. You'd had enough of crying. You wanted nothing to do with it anymore. Your best friend always hated when you cried; whenever he saw tears leaving your face he would hug you and reassure you that he was right there and everything was going to be alright. You promised yourself you wouldn't cry during the memorial, you owed it to him, knowing it would be what he'd want

"but first, I must acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here, enjoying our feast with us." Your hand reached to the empty space on the bench next to you where he had always sat for 6 years. You felt tears start to form in your eyes as the cold wood sat under your lonely fingertips.

"I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glass to Cedric Diggory". You stood, a tightness growing in your throat as you battled the tears threatening to fall. The harder you fought, the tighter your throat grew.

The sound of the benches scraping the floor echoed through the silent hall. You stood. Seeing the entire hall full of students stand and raising their goblets, all for him, was overwhelming. Trying, but no longer being able to fight them, tears began to cascade down your face leaving a puddle on the table under you. His name left each and every one of their lips. You knew if you opened your lips, even the slightest, you'd let out a sob. So instead, you listened.

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities which distinguish Hufflepuff house, he was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not"

A surge of memories flooded your mind. They were all so happy and full of the joy he always brought into a room. Or now... had brought. When you looked up at the headmaster, you face full of silent anguish while trying to hold back sobs from escaping, his endearing eyes shot you a look that told you indeed, that everything was going to be all right. He nodded and returned to addressing the hall

"Today we acknowledge a truly terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend."

Your small group of friends all grabbed each other's hands, sharing looks of comfort, sadness and grief. A sense of regret had filled you as you looked throughout your friends. You may have all been inseparable, but you regret they had not gotten to know him as you had. You and Cedric had always been the closest out of your friends. You spent endless amounts of time together to a point where your friends would have to physically separate you. With him it was easy, you never got bored, the conversations were always ample, you told each other everything and you loved every second of being with him.