A Quick Doubt

The fire of the common room burned brightly

The fire of the common room burned brightly. A few students sat around talking amongst themselves. It was about an hour before curfew and the stillness around you brought ease to your anxiety.

You were waiting for your friend Cedric to get back from his prefect duties. Well, you wouldn't call him just a friend, actually, you didn't know what to call it.

More than friends.... well almost, at least. You were talking to eachother and hanging out together constantly, and things seemed to be trending towards more than friends, but neither of you had built up the courage to ask the other exactly what this was.

A while back, you had broken curfew to pull a prank with Fred and George Weasley, when Cedric had stopped you in the hallway to take house points from you.

But after a bit of begging and agreeing to go to a quidditch match, which you rarely did, he let you off with a warning.

After that, the two of you became close friends, and with every passing week you grew much more comfortable with each other, and sure enough, you started to develop feelings for him.

You hoped that he reciprocated those feelings as well, but you couldn't be sure.

Against your better judgement, all that was optimistically going to change tonight. Because you had worked up the courage to decide to tell Cedric how you felt.

The longer you sat in that chair next to the entrance of the Hufflepuff common room, the more your palms began to sweat and the faster your foot began to bounce and the harder you clenched your jaw.

It was torture.

You played out scenarios in your head of how this was all going to go down, whether it was positive or negative, it all scared you half to death.

The friends you sat with yielded little to no distraction. Besides, you would have to wait for all of them to leave before you and Cedric could talk anyways. But they all knew how you felt, and they were rooting for you, but they had no idea that you planned to have it all go down tonight.

They chatted away, talking about assignments and professors and a rumor here and there, but you just silently stressed about Cedric walking through that door any second. You wanted him to, but you were terrified that he would. Because the sooner he walked through the door, the sooner you'd have to tell him that you liked him much, much more than a friend.

And as though he read your mind, Cedric Diggory sauntered through the door with much more of a bold strut than normal.

Immediately, you sat up in your chair and tried to jump into your friends' conversation to hide the fact you'd been stressing about his arrival.

He sat down quietly with that big, geeky smile on his face and waited for there to be a lull in the conversation.

Without hesitation, once there was enough time for him to start talking, he began to deliver quite the speech.